Which boat should I build?

John D.

Merry Christmas gentlemen,

I've been scheming on building a new duck boat this coming spring after the season. I've got a perfectly good 8hp Honda laying around with no boat to put it on. I'm looking to build a one man sneakbox type rig that my motor will fit on nicely. I'll be using it in some choppy water but will try to stay away from big water as best I can. It will need to be capable of making runs as far as 10 miles round trip without putting my life in too much jeopardy.

I would appreciate any input you guys have. Pictures would really be great too.

Thanks guys

I was planning to build a Devlin Bluebill for similar conditions, to use on Mobile Bay & Mississippi Sound. Then I got remarried and had kids. So it never happened. One of those bad news/good news sorta things! :)
Build one so I can live through your adventure!

I built the Bluebill out of aluminum. I use a 9.9 hp and get pretty good speeds, around 25 mph. It handles well in tight turns and works very well for me and my dog. Boat lifts a little when I trim the motor up to get real shallow, but I moved the gas tank forward and this made a difference. Good boat design and your motor should be a good match for it. Good luck on your build, be careful it gets additive. (5 boats and planning #6) :)

Back