Who makes the best rowing BBSB? Looking for answers!

I have wondered for years now, who makes the best rowing sneakbox on the market today? Actually I really want to know who makes the best rowing boat period, regardless of make or style. You know, if I could own only one duck boat for the rest of my life (a very dark and scary thought) and I wanted to row all the time, which boat should I go with.
I would love to hear first hand accounts and educated opinions. I know that the hunters on this site have a very thorough knowledge of such boats. So let the debate begin and throw in your 2 cents worth.

I am looking forward to some great answers!

Robert Warner

Hi Robert,

Been a while. How's the family? Hi to your Dad and Andy.

Interesting question that I too have thought of. Seems to me that the best rowing hull is likely a double ender, kind of spoon shaped with some rocker. With that in mind I would think that a classic, feather edge BBSB would fit the bill but maybe a stretched out version to spread out the displacement a bit.

Actually, I'm hoping that the Poleboat on my cradle might fit the bill as a really good rower but won't know for a couple more weeks yet.

Hey Robert,

Don't have an opinion on this, just wanted to say hi to you and your family.

If we cross paths again this season, you're welcome to row the estuary.

Ryan

Robert, hands down a traditionally built BBSB will row beautifully AND: carry loads, hide, protect from the elements, and just plain look cool. What I mean about traditionally built is the origional design was meant to row and sail (the outboard hadn't been invented yet) so the transome was small and offered very little drag. I bought my first sneakbox in 1985 and rowed it for about 6 or 7 seasons before getting an outboard. Sometimes it was for miles and sometimes it was in pretty rough waters. The little boat performed beautifully and I will never to be without one. The only boat that comes close for rowing is going to be a canoe but you'd have to watch what kinds of waters you'll be on. If you hunt only creeks and marshes with general protection from the wind a canoe is a wonderful machine and will actually go into more shallower waters than the sneakbox but that to me is the only advantage. Best to you, Jim B1 ps and good luck with that "owning only one boat thing". :)

Pete,

Hello again to you as well. I would have to say that the family is doing just fine right now. I will say hello to both Andy and my Dad for you.

I have enjoyed working with my scull boat so much it makes me think that rowing is really the way to go for me. Thats kind of why I have wondered what other boats move really well under oar power.

So you are working on a Poleboat huh? My Dad will find that very cool indeed. You will have to tell us how that goes.

Hope I see you again this season,
Robert

Hey Ryan,

Good to hear from you again as well. My family (especially Andy) will be glad to know you said hello.

Dad and I were just talking about your boat again not long ago. It is one of his favorites from pictures and description and from seeing the one you have. I would love to try it out. It seems that we just ended up with to much bad weather at Houghton Lake last year at the end of the trip to really make anything happen.

I hope we see you again this season,
Robert

Jim,

I think it might be impossible for a duck hunter to own just one boat. It would atleast be a crying shame if nothing else!

So you had a traditional BBSB and rowed it for 6 to 7 years. If you were able to go for miles and rough water with rowing it then it does sound like a good boat for me. Do you recall who made your boat?

Robert-

Great question!

The traditional displacement hull is by far the best boat for rowing. The outboard wasn't invented, and it was made to be sailed or rowed. The newer planing hull versions are built for speed with an outboard, but there's a ton of drag on that flat hull when trying to row. We hunt mostly reservoirs and lakes with our sneakboxes where gas motors aren't allowed, and do a ton of rowing. They row like a dream and are very stable in rough water due to the displacement hull. The only thing that would row better would be a canoe which isn't very stable, or maybe one of LSB's scull boats rigged up with oars.

As far as makers, we make the only true displacement hull BBSB that I know of. I think the MLB's Zack Taylor is a cross between planing and displacement, and doesn't seem to have as much rocker.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Take care,

Robert -
I have Kirk's tandem set up that he posted a few years ago, the bunk bed trailer set up. His boats are really nice. I have only had to row mine once, but it wasn't bad at all (I was rowing upstream).

I am seriously considering a 14'er...

Best of luck with your decision.
Hank

Robert, for strickly rowing pleasure, a Whitehall type hull is darn hard to beat for what you ask. Not much of a duckboat, but, it earned a great reputation for it's pulling ability.

Kirk,

Thanks for the good advice. I will be checking out your website here very soon.

I actually have a LSB Brant-II X and I love sculling it. My Dad and I are thinking about trying to have oar locks put on it because we agree that it would probably row very well.

Thanks again,
Robert

Eric,

I have never heard of a Whitehall hull style, unless it is also known as something else. I guess if it isn't a duck boat then thats why. Is there any duck hunting boat similar to it that I could reference?

Do you recall who made your boat?

Robert, My first sneak was made by Van Duyne Brothers in Ventnor, NJ. All fiberglass, it weighed only 135 lbs empty. the transome was only about 4" high tucked way up. I sold it to a guy in Va and I know of another on Marthas Vinyard and Frank Miller (this forum) just restored one. I used that boat as a guide to make the one I have now but I dropped the transome and lengthened the cockpit which was more comfortable for me. Its cedar stip over ash ribs on 8" centers. It weighs in at 165 and rows very well but not like that first box. Search the site archives for "Perry" sneakbox from Maine: As near to perfection as I have ever seen. Best, Jim B1

Bob,

You are very right. That boat moves through the water like it isn't even trying. The water looks untouched by its presence. It sure seems to me that all of these double ended boats glide through the water easily.

Thanks,
Robert

Jim,

Thanks for the extra info. I found a string of pictures using the words you recommended. They looked very nice.

Thanks again,
Robert

The Devlin mud peep is decked and is a true row boat. I rowed a peeper, the undecked version a couple weeks ago and it moved well even against the tide. I will build one after I finish my duck boat.

Ron

Thanks everyone for posting great answers to my question. They helped me out quite a bit and I even learned about a few new manufactures.

Thanks again everyone,
Robert

In my limited experience,the Melonseed Skiff is hands down the best rowing and sailing duck boat ever,but I doubt if you'll ever see one outfitted as a duck boat (cira 1880).I have a MLB Zack Taylor duckboat,which rows very well,once you have the proper oars and seat height worked out.

View attachment efcd.JPG

Last edited:
Back