Whos making a camo Hazmat suit? Bird flu

William Reinicke

Seen it a bunch. Couple years ago, on a few snow goose hunts, it was obvious. Land, stumble around everywhere, shoot at the ones still decoying because the ones that had it didn't even have the strength to fly away. Would let kiddos walk up to them and shoot them in the spread. I remember volunteering, mid 2000's, picking up 1000's of snow geese out of fields on refuges because it was so bad. I remember after a week, we had collected enough neck collars to wrap around a small shop that was on the refuge. There were hundreds of snow goose leg bands picked up at that time as well. I am a nurse, I am really not scared of much. I worked 60 hour weeks and ran the Covid floor at the very start and worked out of respirators for 18 months. No big deal, tis what it is, but it is starting to spread to humans now. Did a bit of research so far, doesn't seem to effect humans like it does fowl. Generally like a cold and respiratory issues. All the birds we picked up had the nastiest green goo gunk coming out of their nostrils and throats. What I didn't like was the ones that would land and not fly away, walked around drunk like they had neurological issues. Sure enough, it can cause brain swelling and I am pretty sure this is what was going on with a lot of these snow geese that I was seeing a couple years ago. No clue if this is a symptom seen in the human cases we have had. I am kidding about the camo hazmat suit, but I have seen a lot of this stuff. Just remember guys.... best way to prevent any virus is wash your hands. When we were dealing with all these snow goose hunts, I brought a box of heavy duty latex gloves. The thick black ones from home depot. They are snug fitting, I could still call and it didn't get in the way at all of the hunt. An old time actually taught me that trick for keeping blood and mud off your hands. I am in them enough for work that I don't like wearing them when hunting, but it was one precaution I did take with it being so obvious a couple years ago.

This article states they found a strain in a human without any encounter of animal. I am calling BS on that. Yes it is BBC, and nothing in media is truly believable but as waterfowlers, we are all technically the front line for this virus. Just keep it in mind, and kill all of them you see with it. Looks like it is a pretty beatable virus with some antivirals and steroids. I don't think anyone should be at all afraid of killing birds with bird flu but it seems its chalking up to be another rough year for the fowl. Just wanted to put out a PSA and a couple simple brief articles about it.

Back