Wood keel/gunnel protection On marsh skiff

David Sun

Have my Dad's refurbished marsh skiff but it has a wood keel. Looking for a pvc trim strip about an inch wide and thick enough to rest on concrete/rocks when launching. Also looking for gunnel protection without going to full rubrail kit. Have looked online but can't find a suitable product. Thanks for any ideas. Also interested if anyone knows the make/model. Believe it was a kit boat made in 1954. Dad was from Toledo so may have a midwest history.
View attachment 007.JPG

Last edited:
Can't help with a pvc solution, but I used aluminum flat stock from Lowes or Home depot on my wood keel when I built my boat. Many others have done the same.

How about the purpose built glue on keel guards? Otherwise the aluminum is a good idea. Or some sort of heavy duty plastic.

You can get marine grade High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) from McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hdpe/marine-grade-moisture-resistant-polyethylene-hdpe-/

Good morning, David~

Neat vessel! I can see why you want to add a bit of protection to her vulnerable areas.

As you have no doubt found, products made for rubrail protection on modern boats is quite expensive. I would consider screwing on rails made from wood or PVC lumber - with the understanding that will likely need replacement down the road if they encounter enough rough docks and bulkheads, etc.

I just put these White Ash rubrails on this Great South Bay Scooter:

View attachment M 03 Primed.JPG

I filled the screw with linseed oil putty - not bondo or thickened epoxy - so I could remove the screws and rails if needed in the future.

View attachment M 02 Putty in rubrail fwd end.jpg

I had considered trying Trex decking material - but was scared away by the price. Also, I had the Ash on hand and thought it a better match for a 1930s vessel.

Another option would be half-round Pine moulding. I used it on my decked-over canoe Sweet Gherkin.

View attachment Sweet Gherkin - 2010.jpg

I use Philippine Mahogany for rails on my other canoes - for its great strength and stiffness. It is available in long clear lengths at my local lumber yard. I round the edges with my router - often once they are installed on the boat.

View attachment Canvasback - Maiden Voyage.jpg

Hope this helps!

SJS

Thats a nice boat....The simplest solution for the gunnels is a screw on wood rub rail like Steve suggests, any hardwood, mahogany, even pine would do, consider it a expendable wear item so make sure it's easy to replace, I have also split pvc pipe for the same purpose, pre drill and countersink the screw holes and you got a pvc rub rail..
You could do a similar fix for the keel, a strip of oak screwed to the keel will hold up well and again, be easy to replace.

I used this on both the rubrails and the runners on my BBSB build in 2009. So far it is held up well. I bedded it in 5200 and used SS screws into the IPE runners I epoxied and bolted through the hull.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/58916

Thats a sweet looking skiff you,ve got there. Kind of reminds me of the Scooter hull Lou Tish makes w maybe a little more freeboard.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I finally found what I was looking for from Taco Marine. It's a 1" half round rigid vinyl rub rail and predrilled on 6" centers for a #6 screw (didn't need it predrilled but will make application easier). Somewhat problematic in that it only comes in 12' lengths which required freight shipment of $260 for a $27 piece. Finally found Pier Supply in TN who is next to Taco Marine and would cut in half for $5 a cut and ship 3 sections for $18. They also make a 1.5" half round which would fit the gunnels a little better but that was $63 per 12' section so I went with 1" for keel and gunnels. Also found a flexible edge trim on Amazon for the top inside edge of gunnels that comes with 3M tape already attached. Still would like to know the manufacturer of the kit as I have never seen another boat like it.

David Sun said:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I finally found what I was looking for from Taco Marine. It's a 1" half round rigid vinyl rub rail and predrilled on 6" centers for a #6 screw (didn't need it predrilled but will make application easier). Somewhat problematic in that it only comes in 12' lengths which required freight shipment of $260 for a $27 piece. Finally found Pier Supply in TN who is next to Taco Marine and would cut in half for $5 a cut and ship 3 sections for $18. They also make a 1.5" half round which would fit the gunnels a little better but that was $63 per 12' section so I went with 1" for keel and gunnels. Also found a flexible edge trim on Amazon for the top inside edge of gunnels that comes with 3M tape already attached. Still would like to know the manufacturer of the kit as I have never seen another boat like it.
On the extra high shipping costs at one time West Marine being a distributor of Taco Marine trim pieces could custom order thru their store closest to you and ships to there at greatly reduced cost. Had to be done in store last time I did it. Might be worth checking out if you have a west marine in the vicinity.

I owned one back in the early 1980s. Bought it in Monroe Mi. i believe it was a kit or plans . i've seen a couple of them over the years but never could find the history. The builder who built mine was talented. He used aluminum to cover the gunnels and rub strips and stem. He also made a dodger like on a BBSB for the bow. it had two removable seats that slid on the edge of the floorboards to trim the load.
Should have kept that one.

Back