Yakima Rack and Roll

Mark W

Anyone ever seen one of these in use or something similar? I am still considering how to best transport my Hoefgen behind/on the Jeep and am also looking for better ways to carry my ice fishing flip over and other related stuff. This trailer seems to be a good idea as it can carry the weight, is lightweight, and can be stored on its end against a wall in the garage. Only downside is the very very very (did I say very) high cost. I've seen them on the web for under $1,000 new but don't know how common this is.

Looknig for ideas on substitute products as well.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/trailers/trailer/rack-and-roll-66

Mark W

Harbor freight has small utility trailers that can be stored upright that are usually cheap. They are steel so no saltwater, but much cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/950-lb-capacity-foldable-4-ft-x-8-ft-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42709.html

Wouldn't a normal box trailer be a little more versatile?

If I can store it upright in the garage and it is lightweight, and can hold a 15' kayak type duckboat, I'd love to know what one will work. I looked at the box type trailers but the ones I've seen are heavy and need to be stored outside as I don't have extra garage space.

I have seen other kayak trailers on the web new for around $700 - still priocey if you ask me.

Mark W

Dang, for that price you can buy a new sneak box on a trailer. Alternate your sneak box and Hoefgen on the trailer. Don't know about your ice fishing gear, but in a pinch you could just strap in onto the gunwales of one of your boats. :^)

I bought a tilt bed utility trailer (like the ones you can drive your riding lawn mower on) and mounted the brackets that normally go on the car top rack to its side rails. I can then snap in my Yakima kayak carrier that I haul my Hobie Outbacks on. I have about $300 invested in the trailer and a couple hundred in the Yak rack. The beauty of this set up is I can still put my rack on the top of my Envoy or the trailer depending on how I'm wanting to roll. I also have the trailer for other uses.

I'll try and post up a picture in the next day or so to illustrate the set up.

Mike

From reading up on trailers, it seems that putting a lightweight boat on a trailer with leaf springs with a large carrying capacity is problematic as far as bouncing goes. This is why the design of the Yakima is good - shocks and springs. I guess sometime ago there were a couple of companies that made trailers such as what I am loking for - Tee Nee and Holsclaw. Both stopped production in the 50's or 60's from what I can tell.

Found some others on the web that may be of interest. May just stick with throwing the boat on top of the vehicle. Would like oto get a slightly bigger ice house but am limited to length in the back of the Jeep. Problems, problems....

Mark W

Never had any problems with mine. I prefer the trailer for short hops because I can load them easier by myself but I have pulled it several hundred miles down the interstate too.

Mark,

I'd look into something like this and build a wood frame for the boat to ride up on and even consider a cargo box with the racks so you have a place to store your decoys underneath. You could load the cross members with pipe insulation foam to absorb any shock from the bumps due to springs instead of torsion axle. You could probably have a more useful setup for 500-600 bucks.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=foldable+utility+trailer&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7_____en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16300652418358922223&sa=X&ei=ZGYUT_iKHOWjiAKqkcXcDQ&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAA#

Mark,

I looked at the Yakima trailer when I was in Florida. I thought it was a good design for a strictly on road trip. I wouldn't trust you would go far off-road with out a failure. As we discussed I'm tired of loading and unloading my Fatboy from the roof. I'm going to oder this trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

I'm going to lengthin the tongue and attach my roof rack system to the trailer. I'm thinking of a box on the trailer where I can throw camping stuff, extra gas and hunting stuff like waders, decoys and layout seat that well be wet at the end of the day. Thngs I don't want in the Jeep or left to blow around in the Fatboy on the trip home. The tongue will be detachable with a clevis system like your hitch reciever and will stand on end in the garage for storage.

Back