Your Favorite Gear

My Redhead brand "Lifetime" wool socks. Brand new they're thick like slippers. When they start wearing thin, bring them back to Bass Pro and exchange them for a new pair. At $10 they're a great investment. Also my Duofold long underwear tops and bottoms. They're polypropylene and wool, very warm.

My Remington 870 12 gauge has been my gun for every type of hunting since I started 18 years ago. Refinished the stock once. Other than that, keep it oiled and cleaned and it keeps working.

But here in Texas waterfowl hunting, last years khakis cut to make shorts, running shoes, and a long sleeve shirt...

Regards,
Kristan

Dont forget the skeeter spray......

Kris,
When I lived in Alaska, my Helly Hanson rain gear was at the top of my list. Now my list is different.
No specific order on these:
Benelli Nova
coffee thermos
insulated waders
7 shot dove loads for ducks
Kawasaki Mule for duck hunting and going on long trips/picnics into the desert/mountain areas of southwestern New Mexico
13 assorted duck decoys

Thsi is a great thread Kris,

Puddle Duck Hunting - my 15'4" Gheenoe with a 1966 Evinrude 3hp Folding Ducktwin; and my Orvis breathable waders in Shadow Grass camo
Diver hunting - my Bankes layout boat with its tender, a Scott 16' Duckboat with a 16 hp Go-Devil; and my old Mustang camo floater coat
Upland hunting - my Filson tincloth coat & chaps and my 12 ga Browning BSS
Fishing - my DAM Quick 330 spinning reel that I've been using for ~40 yr
Camping - my Woods canvas tent trailer or wall tents - waterproofed canvas reminds me of 'real' camping with Cubs and Scouts when I was a kid

Favorite: Garmin 76CSx handheld GPS

These go everywhere as well:
Spyderco Dyad pocketknife
Streamlight Stylus Penlight
Adventure Medical Marine First Aid Kit

Three things that are always packed into my bag before I head out.

My shooting PFD with whistle
A fully charged Marine hand held vhf radio
A fully charged cordless spotlight

As far as most enjoyable this year, Pearl, my black lab pup.

My Toby's hat

and if duck hunting my blueyed-teal that Lee Harker made, the coot and sleeping bwt decoys that Steve made....my blueyed-teal was my good juju this year apparently the two or three hunts we didn't have her, the birds had disappeared from our little spot and we had bad luck...as soon as she rejoined us it was back to normal for us (outstanding days)....and she's been lost and found too many times to count....but those three decoys go everywhere with me if duck hunting

Duck hunting; filson hat,marsh seat,jet sled saved my back a few times
deer hunting;cabelas 'guide's vest,summit's viper climber

My Old Eddie Bauer gear, before they went Yuppie. Especially my Camo Blind Bag. It's Been Everywhere, and like the other stuff NEVER failed me once.

For me my breathable waders, a god send as no longer to I have to sweet in heavy neoprenes. As I slide and stomp across the mud flats.

2 fairly recent additions I couldnt live without now
DRAKE fleece neck gaiter for waterfowling
COLUMBIA wool pants for deer
And my old original LL Bean Maine Waterfowl sweater

Last edited:
I know this is going to be unpopular but it has to be my phone. I can get weather reports, wind direction, river levels, migration reports (if you can believe them), sunrise/sunset times, hunting logs, navigation, sat views of vegetation, radio if it is REAL slow, web access to read the forum if it is slow, light for inside the boat if you can't find your normal one or the battieries ran down, camera, phone for emergency calls and work related calls if I've snuck out early or coming into work late, and so on.

Naturally, this only works when in range of a tower but most places I hunt have reception.

Other than that, it has to be my M1, and my Hoefgen with the mimi mud motor.

Mark W

i agree with the phone. I was going to buy a $1K+ xm weather receiver for the flats boat. but if i got service on the iphone, i have much better weather radar on it.

To go back to the original ?
1. My inflatable life vest
2. Booker the wonder dog
3. My 870 12 ga.
4. the boat of the day
5. wool wind shear sweater
6. neoprene waist waders- if the water is deeper than that I'll be in the boat
7. my waterproof phone, camera and pocket video camera
8. Zippo lighter

upland-my 20 White Lightning Citorie and my Filson hat

Don't know if I can limit it to just one item. But some of the stuff I really value for different reasons would be my underarmour underwear (life savers), my new Cabelas Breathable Waders (these things make my neoprenes feel like a torture device), and my 16ft Tracker Grizzlie w/1996 60 Hp Evinrude (rebuilt and tweeked closer to 70 Hp). I also love my Antonio Zoli Silver Eagle s x s 12ga (even if it did double fire once and knocked me on my rear).

Back