10X Paint Job

Dwight F.

I have been refinishing some older cork decoys and have been messing around trying a few ideas I have had. I had some Rustoleum 10X Gray Deck Paint left over from a job and gave an old beat up cork decoy a brushing with that. WOW! What a great coating to use. Dries super hard, fills in most voids and makes a great base coat for painting over. Gives the decoy a nice grippy finish and textured paint job. Anyone else try this? I brushed the 10X paint onto the decoy and might actually try the small roller for a real armor like finish.

What a great idea, wonder how it would work on plastic decoys for texture and paint holding. If I EVER get to that point I will try it. I might have some Herculiner bed liner left to try. Love new ideas like this.

What a great idea, wonder how it would work on plastic decoys for texture and paint holding. If I EVER get to that point I will try it. I might have some Herculiner bed liner left to try. Love new ideas like this.

I can say bedliner works great, even the sprayable stuff. Actual herculiner would be the bomb, love it on my boat floor. All the "deck restore" products are very similar to a bedliner product.

Paul

Any paint that dries HARD is going to crack when the cork, or plastic, underneath compresses. Once the paint cracks water will intrude.

Steve

10X is a exterior latex paint. It feels super hard when dried but actually it is flexible. I painted two coats onto a piece of 3/8 cdx plywood and let it completely dry. I flexed the plywood and pretty much bent the ply end to end. No cracks and kept its shape.
So far this stuff seems to be a good base for painting.
Also per Mr. Sanfords suggestion a good bath in varnish, then lightly sanded before the 10X would seal the cork even better.
I'll see how it really holds up after 3 months of early and late season hunting this fall.

Good to know. Dries "super hard" and "doesn't crack when flexed end to end" would seem to be mutually exclusive but I gotcha now. Be interested to hear how it holds up.

Steve

Back