12 Gauge 2 3/4 Loads

John Keller

Hi,
Thinking about getting back into duck hunting.
Have used a number of shotguns in the past but still prefer the old A5 Light 12.
In looking around, it is perplexing to try to find anything like the modern equivalent to the Winchester XX I loved back in the day.
What are people using?
At my age (68 years young), I don't want to go to the bigger 3".
Smaller may be a possibility but would prefer to not have to give up the trusty A5.
Reloading seems improbable for no more than I expect to be shooting.
Thanks,
John

I've never shot anything larger then 2 3/4" in a 12ga at a duck or goose in my life. The steel loads and wads are much better then they were when they first became the law in the 80s. It isn't as important to move to the longer shells now. There are also other non-tox loads that can be useful depending on your choke in the old A5. Some are softer then steel and easier on those old tight chokes but they do cost most.

It's amazing how we could use 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz loads moving at 1300fps for everything from pheasants to geese and do just fine and now we need a different heavy load for every condition.

Disclaimer: This is only what I do and you have to make the choice for you and your own gun.
I shoot a Winchester Model 50 and have shot over 20 years of steel through it and it's full choke. I like the 1 1/16 oz Kent Fasteel. I don't go bigger then 2's and like 3's when I can find them. The Winchester Xperts are OK too but not the same quality to me as the Kents.

There are some guys on here who get ducks in close and use 2 3/4" Xperts in 6's and 7's. But they do get them in very close and are very picky on their shots.

I do think A5 Lights have lighter barrels then my old M50 so you may also want to look at something like Hevi Shot Classic Doubles or Kent Tungsten Matrix. I've never shot them so I can't tell you what they are like.

Tim

John, I have been shooting the A5 light for a few years and the best I have found is the black cloud 2 3/4 #3. I have no trouble on longer shots or geese and they are much less expensive to shoot. I use a modified choke. this was my sons gun, when he was killed in Iraq I decided I wanted to take him hunting any way I could and his gun has been a blessing in the blind.

John,

This is the gun I take with me all the time now. Chambered for 2 3/4" and I have never felt I was undergunned for ducks or geese. Sounds like your A-5 hits where you point it, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 2 3/4" load that patterns well for you from that humpback. Guys were killing plenty of ducks & geese with A-5's long before 3" became the rage.

View attachment 12609 008 (600 x 399).jpg

Hi,
Thinking about getting back into duck hunting.
Have used a number of shotguns in the past but still prefer the old A5 Light 12.
In looking around, it is perplexing to try to find anything like the modern equivalent to the Winchester XX I loved back in the day.
What are people using?
At my age (68 years young), I don't want to go to the bigger 3".
Smaller may be a possibility but would prefer to not have to give up the trusty A5.
Reloading seems improbable for no more than I expect to be shooting.
Thanks,
John

John,
I'm in that age category, also. Your A-5 is a super gun for 2 3/4 inch shells. I personally use 2 3/4 inch Dove loads when I duck hunt. I enjoy hunting over decoys. Good luck to you.
Al

John,

I’m not sure what the specs were on the old Winchester XX loads you shot in the past. However, I have found something that may come close to duplicating the XX load and will be gentle on your wonderful old A5.

Check out the Nice Shot 2 3/4” 1 /8 oz loads in shot size 4 or 5 at 1250 fps. The Nice shot is a little harder than lead but much softer than steel pellets. The Nice shot won’t harm the barrel on your A5 and won’t kick the daylights out of your shoulder like a lot of steel loads that leave the barrel at 1400 to 1700 fps. The 1 1 /8 oz of 4s patterns superbly out of my guns.

Like all shotgun shells loaded with an alternative non-toxic shot the price is 2.5 to 3 times the cost of quality steel shot loads. The Nice shot loads (ten rounds) go for $27.10 per box plus shipping and can be found at www.niceshotinc.com.

Like TimJ mentioned earlier, the HEVI-Shot Classic Doubles shells are another softer than steel alternatives. I haven’t shot them either but have read good things about them on several occasions. They load 1 ¼ oz of shot in each shell at a velocity of 1150 fps. As a matter-of-fact, I think I’m going to order a box of 2 ¾” #5s myself to give them a try. You can find the HEVI-Shot Classic Doubles at www.PrecisionReloading.com for $24.99 per box according to last year’s catalog.

I looked at some Kent Tungsten Matrix 2 3/4” shotshells yesterday in a sporting goods store a little over an hour from my house. They should be perfect for your A5 too. However, they are loaded with 1 ¼ oz at 1400 fps so the recoil is going to be higher than either the Nice Shot 1 1/8 oz at 1250 fps or the Classic Doubles 1 ¼ oz at 1150 fps.

Since you don’t anticipate doing a whole lot of shooting the cost of the softer than pure steel loads may not really be much of an issue. For me, the lower recoil of the Nice Shot and the Classic Doubles loads is a very positive factor too.

Whatever you do, get yourself and you’re A5 back out to the duck blind. It is just bound to make you feel good.

If you can reload you can use Nice Shot as a direct replacement for lead. It is good shot but expensive.
The Kent Tungston Matrix is a great load but is pretty HOT.
Just another option , John

I am a Browning A-5 2-3/4 shotgunner just like you. There are lots of options out there and I don't think any of them are bad. I was really high on the Remington Wingmaster HD in 6's but they are no longer produced. I have been shooting some Hevishot in the same size and have had good results. There is a new hybrid load from hevishot called hevimetal that is a combination of hevishot and steel, and they have pheasant loads in 2-3/4 which are really the same as a duck load with a different name on the box. Much less expensive that regular hevishot, several of my gunning partners are trying them out this year, will let you know what they think. I used to shoot the Kent tungsten matrix when I could buy them for 1-17 a box of 10, and they are good also, but I have not seen them under around 30 a box for several years now.

As mentioned before, all of the steel out there today is way better than the stuff from the earlier days. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

John,

How is the barrel of your Browning Auto 5 choked?

I don't know if it is still a concern but in the early days of steel shot loads nothing tighter than modified choke was considered safe. The potential problem was that the super-hard steel shot could bridge in a tight choke and cause a bulged ring in the barrel.

Maybe someone else can jump in and comment on whether or not it is still considered a possible downside of using steel shot loads in a full choked barrel built before steel shot was mandated.

I would have the choke opened up to IC and then you could shoot any 2 3/4 steel load you wanted. Today's shotcups should protect your barrels and ammo shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. Steel doesn't spread out like lead so IC will pattern close to what MOD would be. I did this with the barrel of an Rem Wingmaster 870 and loved the way it shot with no barrel damage. I have another 20ga Rem Wingmaster with IC barrel that I've had since the mid70's and have shot steel through it over the years without a sign of damage.

Back