18 ft Military boat

They are temp bridge boats (Bailey) and are vintage WWII. They are floating tanks and would absolutely make a great tender. Probably too big for a blind. I went sea duckin in one about 5 years ago. The guy had a 90 2st on it and it was plenty. After riding in his, I looked for one here in the Northeast and found the going price for boat and trailer to be around $2500. as I recall. I would jump on that in a heartbeat if it suits your purpose and is in good shape.

Good luck, Bill

I would love that boat. I don't think I have a use for it but my Grandfather built Bailys in WWII and I'd keep it around for sentimental value. I'll dig up some photos from his unit using them and see if I can get them posted.

Ron

Ron I would love to see the pics. I plan on using this on the breakwalls of lake erie as a boat blind and I would definately trust this more than say a grizzly of the same size. I am water testing it tomorrow

Not that it matters but the BBB I've seen @ the naval station in Panama City Beach were double bowed for tidal flow areas.

They were also flat topped so the bridge sections set evenly on them & were not equiped with a motor.

The boat that is pictured has a raised bow.

Is this boat was used for anything it would be as a tender pushing pontoons around.

Now back in 1990-1995 they did have about (15) fifteen of these same boats @ the dive locker on base that we had access to them we taught police diver training classes.

They were classified as diver/tender boats.

All were fitted with center consoles & used as diver tender/platforms.

The hand rails on the side were great for tying up an inflatable & picking up divers out of the water.

They are floating tanks!!!

They've decommissioned them & use nothing but ribbies now.

We fell in love with them when we used them.

I'm always looking for one on the DRMO auctions.

Buy it!!!

View attachment bbb.jpg

Last edited:
I had one for a number of years and ran it in and out f the merrmac river here on plum island. They are rugged and would make a great duck boat. They do have some racking to them when they hit rough water so you can stiffen upthe boat by installing a hard deck. I ran a 50 on mine plenty of power and loaded so much junk from the campone day that we almost could not get it all in a ton and a half dump truck so you can load the he'll out of them. Good luck

Well ik looked at the boat tonight. It looks good no leaks. 1 concern I have is that they had cut the transom down a couple inches because the 125 they had on it wasn't long enough.did any of u experience this issue?

Cutting the transom down is a must. The boats really weren't designed to have a motor on them b/c the would connect transom to transom with another boat to make the bridge.

10327_637983928225_29408327_36842783_2269148_n.jpg

You can see the notched out transom in this pic. It also has the back deck welded in for strength that has a splash well cut into it.

The transom is 90 to the hull so wedges are needed to make the boat trim properly. The Nodak guys also added a jack plate from CMC.

-D

Thanks again dave. I finally haved flound a big boatb with no wasted space or casting decks and it only drafts about 4" of water. When u say wedges what was used and where do u put them?

They go between the hull and the engine. They have holes which allow the bolts to go through.

I think the NoDak guys have two sets on their motor now. They are something like 8 degrees per set. This pic is sideways, you can see the left side(top) is thicker than the right side(bottom).

transomwedge_f.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm always happy to talk boats.

-D

I would pay that price in a heartbeat. I got Dave Sikorskis boat last summer and have given it a full work out. The blank hull is very light, 680lbs comes to mind. My friend Chris and I were able to take it off the trailer when were adding foam to the belly of the beast. I have added 2 sets of the shims listed above and it has almost completly eliminated the porposing problem we would have when the boat was empty. I have also added a jack plate and cant imagine ever having a boat without one.

Here are a couple pic of the business end of the boat

let me know if you have any more questions or want some more pictures.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/siouxoutlaw/DSC01147.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/siouxoutlaw/DSC01150.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/siouxoutlaw/1.jpg

Nice Beaver!

I love those boats...would love to have one. The Brits have their own version which is a little boxier. I floated in one across the upper reaches of the Belize River once. When the Brits do maneuvers in Belize they drop the troops and the boats in the jungle. When they're done they leave the boats and they are basically free for the taking(at least that's what they told me).

Jay

I will be picking up my 2006 honda 50 tiller in 2 weeks! Icant wait till spring to get working on this thing. Do I need those shims evem with having power trim?

Yes, you'll need the shims. The problem is that the transom is 90 degrees to the hull(vertical) and most outboards are designed to be up to 15 degrees from vertical.

Post some pics when you get it up and running.

-D

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=295835&langId=-1

-D

Back