18ft devlin scaup?

yes please post up, I am thinking of building one 18ft but would like to modify it with highsides and a roll over deck similar to the Tdb's etc. Was wondering if that would be doable without major headaches? the more pictures the better. Thanks guys.

Tony,
If you want a higher boat, like a TDB or a Bankes, you may want to consider scaling up the Honker. The Scaup is a sneakbox and is a low boat by nature. But everything is a compromise. The sides of our boat were raised a bit, but not as much as I probably would have like. But I was committed to it once I took delivery of the aluminum from the plasma cutter. I will try to take some more pictures of the boat, as I don't have that many of the finished hull.

65b95a50.jpg

IMG_20100919_131357.jpg

Picture2531.jpg

Picture2137.jpg

WOWZERS!, thats one sweet boat. I would think that with a blind built on it no need for higher sides I just love the looks of the scaup and the one you built makes me want an 18ft'er even more.

How in the world did you get all the pieces prepared to be cut with a plazma cutter?

Great work I love it.

Beautiful looking boat!

I too was wondering why if you are wanting to make the sides higher and these other mods... then why not just build the Honker witha whaleback???

The sides, bottom skins, bulkheads, and longitudinals were all cut from a CAD cd. I did all the decking, hatches, and console by cutting sheet by hand with a handheld plasma cutter. Because the boat was the first of it's kind (that I know of), and since all the pieces were on a CAD drawing, it was hard to visual the actual scale of everything. No good way to look at it before hand. Once I took delivery of the aluminum from New Orleans, it would have taken a ton of time and money to modify the side skins and transom. But it was a learning experience.

Have fun if you build one,
Neil

Neil

That boat is incredible! You should be very proud. I have a water jet at my disposal and have been thinking about tackling a similar project. Just haven't had the time to get it going.

I love your boat!

Todd

Neil ,

All i can still say is WOW !!! you guys did one heck of a job , and i am taking note of that fisihng spot on the plotter now , haaha thanks for posting some pics up

Dave M

Back