1940's 16 ft Perrine sailing sneakbox given new life!! And a motor.

Jay H

Back in january i found a 1940's Perrine built sailing sneakbox that had been kept in a couples garage for about 20 years. The older gentleman said that boat was in there when he bought the house and never moved it because he didnt have a tow vehicle. It didnt take up much space so they just piled some things ontop of it. He was interested in selling it. The boat wAs in fair condition for its age, it had a half fast glass job on the deck which was delaminating more and more as i looked at it but most importantly it was DRY! So i decided to make an offer , he accepted my offer and was happy to get ot out of his garage. My best friend and hunting buddy had the same boat that he had converted to be a gunner, his was in 50 times worse shape than mine from the get go, but after his restoration/ conversion. It was an absolute perfect spoonbelly displacement duck slaying machine. He agreed to help me give this box a new and updated life.sorry trying to post build pics cant figure it out.

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-3.jpg

(edit for adding photos, not sure if I got all of then, but there are quite a few now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in january i found a 1940's Perrine built sailing sneakbox that had been kept in a couples garage for about 20 years. The older gentleman said that boat was in there when he bought the house and never moved it because he didnt have a tow vehicle. It didnt take up much space so they just piled some things ontop of it. He was interested in selling it. The boat wAs in fair condition for its age, it had a half fast glass job on the deck which was delaminating more and more as i looked at it but most importantly it was DRY! So i decided to make an offer , he accepted my offer and was happy to get ot out of his garage. My best friend and hunting buddy had the same boat that he had converted to be a gunner, his was in 50 times worse shape than mine from the get go, but after his restoration/ conversion. It was an absolute perfect spoonbelly displacement duck slaying machine. He agreed to help me give this box a new and updated life.sorry trying to post build pics cant figure it out.

image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-3.jpg

(edit for adding photos, not sure if I got all of then, but there are quite a few now)

Jay~

Beautiful vessel - and very nice work. Glad you figured out how to get the photos up - waiting for the rest of the project!

All the best,

SJS

Jay, I was eyeballing this on craigslist. Glad to see it went to a fellow DHBP member. Nice job with the work. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Hey sorry guys the photos didnt show up in order of the progress but you can figure it out, starting filling with microballoons last night. Waiting for some of the 5200 to fully cure before i start moving and flipping again all materials used were jersey white cedar and 3/4 marine ply. We salvaged the original round cockpit coaming but after alot of thought i decided to square off the cockpit. She is 16 ft long by 60" wide. I will get dimensions of the cockpit tonight and post them up. Dave: the mast and sail were donated to the tuckerton seaport. I figured i at least owed it to the boat after chopping her up to have a part of her preserved forever lol.

awesome I always thought a 15' would be ideal size. Watch for one before i left the coast. Someday.....

We replaced every rib n gusset , we doubled up on the gussets one on each side of the ribs in the boat the only thing staying is some of the original bottom planking that has been refastened and i am using the original cleats, we took our time taking boat apart and traced every rib n gusset pattern on 1/4 luan and plan to make another one from scratch during the next offseason.

I sold same box for about $100 little over a year ago. Guy who bought it fixed her up and entered it in the Tuckerton show. It came out real nice! Would have been a good one to add to the fleet. Looked like you could hunt that boat a few different ways, as a double layout with a dog even. Im sure it could be hunted broadside too.
Mine had a couple sails, one was huge racing type

Yes i remember you posting that boat i wanted to buy it but had no storage. This boat will be entered in tuckerton as well.

That is an absolutely beautiful boat, good luck on the rebuild. Please put some pictures up when she is complete, we would all like to see how she comes out.

Back