1972 15" Starcraft I need your advice.

I picked it up today w/trailer for 350.00 The floor is pretty bad so my 1st question, after I tear out the old one do I need to put a new floor in or can I leave it bare? 2nd Question I would like to put a hatch on the top where it is now covered with Alum the boat is a runabout style, whats the best way to do this? Or should I leave it? I have 2.5 gal. of Parker olive drab and the paint on the boat is in very good shape can I just lightly sand and paint over the paint thats on it? I would like to make this boat look like the Zack boat. If there's anything else you guys can clue me in on please let me know!! I wanted to show some pic's of the boat but it says there too big.

Don,
Need pictures. ;)
If you want, email them to me and I can reduce and post for you or email them back to you to post.
Prior to painting, you MUST sand if you want anything to stick. I'd recommend 100-150 grit.
Let me know how I can help.
Lou
duckguylsb@Juno.com

Last edited:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
after I tear out the old one do I need to put a new floor in or can I leave it bare?

In this age of boat you will find the flotation foam located under the floor. The foam most likely will need to be replaced. If you don't put a new floor down there will be exposed cross ribs which you will find cumbersome and a tripping hazard if left exposed. My suggestion would be to put a new floor down with new flotation foam under it. Under the floor is not the ideal location but at least it's better than not having any foam at all.
[/font]

i have a '62 starcraft, same exact model as yours. its a great design, nice high sides, but the entire hull of my boat was eaten up with electrolysis. there was pitting on the entire hull, inside and out, which i didnt find until i stripped the paint.
scott farris on this site has a 14' starcraft, and gave me so much advice on fixing mine. im sure he will check in on this thread. he built oversized bench seats in his, filled with foam, and then had some around the gunnals, if i rememer correctly. the starcraft v hulls are really nice, if i find another, i will definitly buy it. good luck with it.

I think I'm going to keep the pedestals instead of going with a bench seat. Some have said when I take out the bad plywood flooring to use alum. instead for the flooring. What gauge would you recomend and where would I find what I need? Or do you think I should just get some marine plywood I know it would at least for me be easier? Also what are your thoughts on using a tiller outboard vs. leaving the console intact?

Nice looking hull, with the right mods,it will make a great duck hunting machine.
I would love to find one of these to convert to a duck boat to use on MObile Bay and Mississippi Sound.
I would go back with a marine plywood floor, easier to work with & put in. If you know a person who does good aluminum work & can afford to put that kind of money in a $350 boat, then go for it. But I think marine plywood will be fine. Dont use pressure treated, it will eat aluminum.
If it is going to be primarily a duck hunting boat, I would convert to tiller steer and clear out the entire floor, front to back. Put in removable seat pedastals at strategic locations.

Carl, Movable seat posts are the answer!! that way you can tailor the interior in no time for different conditions and loads. I did that on my fishing boat. On the tiller vs consol question I definetly weigh in on the tiller side. cleans the boat up and gives you a lot more options. I would use a plywood floor also. Neat looking boat w/ lots of possibilities. What hp. is it rated for- beware the ratings for consol boats and tiller boats are a lot different Just my $.002

Last edited:
Well we all know what they say about opinions and everyone having one, but since you asked I share mine. First off I really like aluminum V-hulls due to their light weight, very low maintenance and toughness. Your new to you hull looks great! As you've already been recommended, pull the floor and replace the flotation foam. Don't be surprised if you find mice nests and snake skins under there. No need to replace the floor with Aluminum unless you have a very low cost supply of both sheet and angle for support. Marine ply should last you 20+ years if you don't abuse it and you will end up with the stiffness and support the designers specified.

Unlike Carl (D'oh, & now Tom), I like a side console, or in your boat the starboard biased wheel. The boat balances well with your weight forward and you'll quickly learn to approach decoys, downed ducks etc on your starboard side where you'll be able to reach them without letting go of the helm. The remote steering keeps the higher horse power rating and it will be real convenient keeping your fishfinder and GPS out of the way in front of the wheel. Staying with pedestal seats will allow you to clear the cockpit for hunting, Just stow the seats under the forward deck. You can also rig shorter tubes to lower the seats to a good huntable level and keep the comfort of a nice padded seat with back support.

I'm assuming from the boats numbers that your in Wisconsin and she'll see some good sized water now and then. I would add a dodger that you can see over while sitting at the helm. Below is a picture from the 90's when BJ (Bob Johnson) still hung out here. This is his boat:

View attachment BJsboat.jpg
I believe she's a 16 ft that he runs around the edges of Long Island sound. The removable posts that are up in the picture are for a canvas blind that extends around the cockpit. His boat has bench seats, but the floor and pedestal seats would be even nicer.

Just to clear up Michael's statement, I didn't add the bench seats, I've bought my 14 -fters with them, I simply add decks and other modification from there. Benches work well for my specific hunting style, transport large numbers of decoys then stash the boat. An open floor plan would be more flexible for all around use.

Enjoy!
Scott

Last edited:
So just leave the front deck alone, just paint over it or should I put a hatch there? Ok on the floor just use the same thickness plywood that was there? Great idea about the tubes one for crusing one for hunting! Now where will I get the foam to replace the bad stuff? Also I was just out there and pulled back the carpet covering the floor, I want to take out the floor in one piece and I see that they used rivits instead of screws whats the best way to get thi floor out in one piece so I can use it as a pattern? Also will the metal bases for the seats come out with it or do I need to take those off first?

Last edited:
Back