3M 5200 question (NDR)

Paul Meisenheimer

Supporter
I thought I would appeal to the brain trust on the site with a question about 5200.

I am going to attach Thule TB60 tracks to the top of my truck cap that will accept roof racks. These require drilling the cap and bolting them on. I intend to drill a length of flat aluminum plate the same length as the tracks so the bolts are through metal on top and bottom, basically sandwiching the fiberglass.

I was thinking of applying a coat of 5200 between the tracks and roof to further secure and seal them. I know that 5200 is a marine product. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? The tracks will have to stay on the roof once it is drilled so the permanent factor isn't an issue.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Good morning, Paul~

I used 5200 on my racks - which have been on my Element for about 12 years. I masked around the bases so I could get a smooth fillet with my finger - and also first sanded the roof with 220 grit then wiped with acetone. The 5200 has held up as new.

Element%20with%20Canvasback%203L%20SMALL_zps8rqtnjl6.jpg

The rack is my design - wood coated with epoxy then painted with Semi-flat Black.

All the best,

SJS

Go with 5200 Black or 4200 black. Might look better for the application. 4200 cures faster. If you want to make 5200 cure faster, spritz with water before joining pieces.

Mark W

No issues at all. #M 5200 has a ton of uses. You can even buy it at the big box stores, though you may not be able to choose your color. Just remember that 5200 is permanent. If you think you may ever want to remove it (like to repair damage) use the semi-permanent version 4200 if I recall right.

Paul,

5200 will work well, but be aware that it is an adhesive, and a very good one. If you ever want to remove the racks, it may be a challenge.

I have done exactly what you propose on several truck caps, but have used silicone as a sealant to prevent leaking.

If you want to "glue" the racks to the cap, use 5200. If you want to just provide a weather seal, I would suggest silicone, or a polysulfide sealant like Boat Life.

Matt

The fast cure is not as strong and does not last. I have had a few failures with it. I will not use it at all anymore for anything. Get the 5200 and let it sit for the week it needs to cure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't realize that 4200 was a different consistency. That is good to know. The comment about repairs struck a chord with me. While I know I can't ever "remove" the tracks once the roof is drilled, repairing or replacing a damaged track is a consideration. Cutting and sanding 5200 to remove it is a nasty bit of business.

Great looking rack Steve. I thought about building a permanent rack but decided I would opt for removable with low profile tracks remaining on the vehicle. Although the truck is pretty tall there are still places I can get into that would be off limits with a permanent rack. (Airport parking for instance has about 3 inches to spare.)

I was already planning to mask the install area to keep it clean but that was a good reminder for anyone working with 5200.

On a separate note, I just installed air helper springs in the truck to assist with leveling the truck when towing. What a difference!

What is the advantage of 5200 over silicone, you are bolting it down?
A good silicone will seal it and you will still be able to take it off.
I believe 5200 would hold with no bolts.

Paul if you back to your past call 3m in London they have technical
Support there for this product 1-800-265-1840 might be able to help

What is the advantage of 5200 over silicone, you are bolting it down?
A good silicone will seal it and you will still be able to take it off.
I believe 5200 would hold with no bolts.

I don't want any stress on the bolts to cause cracks in the glass. There is a headliner in the cap that prevents truly tightening the nuts and washers flush against the fiberglass.

Back