4 stroke motor?

I hope somebody can give me some help with this,I purchased a boat with a 99 honda 4 stroke and have heard they will not start in cold weather and am debating on selling the motor to buy a used 2 stroke,the motor looks barely used and the guy i bought the combo from says he sold it because he never used it,looking it over i believe him, anybody care to venture if i decided to get rid of it,what they go for Its a 99 long shaft electric start 25 hp honda any input will be helpful thanks

Bloney! Keep condensation out of your gas and put HEET or some other anti freeze in the fuel to keep the line clear and you shouldn't have any problems....no more than a 2 stroke.You could actually let it idle all day if it's REALLY cold. The thing is to find out how it likes to be started..they all have their little quirks.

thanks for the reply.Ive only had 2 strokes tohatsu by the way excellent motors{ coldest morning first pull } on all of my duck boats and this is the first 4 stroke ive owned,so i really am going on what some guys are telling me.Its only a electric start with no pull ,Im already thinking about next duck season having visions of batteries going dead from trying to start it and getting stuck

Well, if you are going to be nervous with it, I am sure most marina's would trade you a very nice 2 stroke for it. It's probably worth more than you can get for it if you try to sell it outright.

Mike. I have a honda as well. My hunting partner has one. Absolutely no problems starting in cold weather.

3 reasons why 4 strokes are good:

1) great gas mileage
2) no smoke
3) quiet.

A.

Mike,
Like Andrew I have a 2002 Honda tiller. Mine starts (electric) fine no matter how cold, but I've found that there is a certain position I need to leave the choke at while I park the truck so it warms up a bit, other wise it has a tendency to kill. Thats in hot or cold weather. Love the motor.

George

Mike ,

I am Andrews partner we both have Hondas . Andrew's is an 04 mine is an 05 his is 40 horse mine 30 . We have never had problems with the motors in the cold we have been out in -1 with absolutely no problem . I am not sure if there was a change from 99 to 2000's or not but i will tell you i is the best motror i have ever owned and i will more than likely be buried with it . Good luck with your motor.

Dave M

Mike, I stupidly bought the Honda shop manual... because I didn't need it after all...that's another story.

Anyway, there is very little diff over the last 10 years except choke and some minor details.

You'll love the motor.

A>

I sold a 25 hp 4 stroke for $2,000 and it was nt elec start I pick up a 2006 25 hp elec start for $2,000 with only four hours on the motor. The best motor I have ever owned and really great on gas compared to 2 cycle. You have to use the highest grade of gas and never use old gas in your motor I mean more than 6 months old. The only draw back to 4 strokes are there weight in a smaller boat if that is a factor.

Had a 4 stroke Yamaha (115) for sea ducking in a 21' boat. Started well even in the single digits. Turned over more slowly in the cold vs. a 2 stroke (crankcase oil) but started every time. Treated the gas with an additive to absorb moisture created by ethanol. Stuff was called ring free made by Yami. Wouldn't hesitate on a 4 stroke other than the aforementioned weight issue.

My2c

Bill

I had a Honda 2 hp 4 stroke, rip start. It started no matter what the temp was. I now have a 75 Merc 4 stroke. It starts no matter what also. Send that Honda my way if you want to get rid of it.

Mike,

I hunt in norhtern Vermont. I have hunted in the negative numbers many days. I had a 1999 50 hp honda. I never had any problems starting the motor. I now have a 90hp evinrude etec and I love it too. Good luck.

Mike, I wouldn't worry too much about dead batteries. There should be a sheave (pulley) on the flywheel that you can wrap a rope around and give a good pull. I have starterd my 75 on a dead battery that way. Check it out and try it before you need it. BTW I echo all the other feedback. I have never owned a Honda outboard because all mine are throw aways that I have fixed up BUT if I was to buy one it would probably be a Honda.

Back