A day with a Master...

Pat Gregory

I was looking through some of my old posts and thought I would post this one up again for you young, aspiring carvers. Mike paints in oils with a wet on wet technique. He is truly a master... Enjoy... Pat

I hold only a few decoy makers in high regard enough to put them in the "Master" category. One of them is Mike Lashbrook. Mike is the eldest son of famed Illinois River carver, Virgil Lashbrook of Pekin, IL. Mike is an accomplished decoy maker of near 50 years and a decoy historian. Mike painted Pastor Bill Brown's first canvasback. We had a great day of fellowship and were blessed immensely. Here are some shots...
View attachment PICT0266.JPG
View attachment PICT0267.JPG
View attachment PICT0268.JPG
View attachment PICT0270.JPG
View attachment PICT0271.JPG

Last edited:
that is SO COOL.

but, if the entire truth be known, mr. gregory, i would label you right up there.........your decoys are what i hope my decoys become in the years to come............i just flat out love them!

justin

Now that's a work bench that has seen a few decoys! Thanks for sharing that day with us Pat. It's the history that makes waterfowling so special.

Mike definitely qualifies as a master. I have never met someone who could not only replicate old paint schemes stroke for for stroke, but can put them on with the same timing and same sequence as the original painter.

A master who has painted around 5000 decoys and is willing to share is a rare find. You are certainly blessed to count him as a friend. I know I am.

Pat, the story and pics to accompany it are remarkable. What a moment in time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I happen to really like Mike's workbench. Makes one almost be able to sniff the smells of linseed oils, paints, etc. when looking at the pics.
Al

Pat,
I love this post even more the second time. What I wouldn't give to see some of those decoys up close. That hen bill and the pintail come to mind. Any chance he is going to be at St Charles?

Nerat to see this again, Pat. I like to see someone who has "painting" shirts and pants that look the same as mine do - I mean, why clean a pallatte knife on a rag while a pant leg is near.

Back