A design request to the metal fabricators on the site.

Mark W said:
Huntindave McCann said:
Mark,
this would be the bottom boat riding on the trailer,with a layout boat above.
[.img]http://bankesboats.com/graphics/freedom_frame.jpg[/img]

I'm sure you can come along to roll it up on it's side during the load and launch process. [whistle]

I know you think the thought above may sound crazy, and it kind of does, but if you look at the way the military transports their boats across the land on a trailer, what I describe above is how they do it. Was just trying to provide a different way of looking at the problem, nothing more.

Another thought is to look at how boat manufacturers transport their product from the factory to the dealer. Many different designs on how they do this and they don't stack them one on top of the other.

Mark

Ok, If we accept that loading a 17ft TDB on edge is a way to transport, what process would you recommend to get from (point A) sitting in the water to (point B) on edge on the trailer?

My TDB-17' is 700lbs for the hull, around 175lbs. for the Honda 50hp, and toss in another 60lbs. for anchors and battery...not, something I can easily mount in a cradle on a trailer. The layout is 200lbs. and 14' long.

Maximum non-permit required trailer width in Michigan is 8'-6".

Please note, my posts were not saying do it this way. They were meant as a way to generate thought and different ways of looking at a problem. There are many ways others stack heavy stuff and transport it, all I'm saying. Trying to solve a problem by recreating what others have been doing works great sometimes. Sometimes this way is the very definition of insanity. Taking bits and pieces of other thoughts many times generates someone else to add to it and many times a better mousetrap is born out of it. There are literally millions of products that have been born out of taking a problem and attacking it in the manner I am suggesting. I can cite them later if you would like. I can even share many personal examples using this methodology that have been very successful.

I see the method of stacking boats as problematic. I've even found a couple of patents unrelated to this problem (and the search was for something else entirely different) that may work very well and solve the issues created when stacking boats. There may be many ways in which to do this.

Dave - don't read below this as it will drive you nuts.

Other than stacking, how about placing end to end. Yep, I already can read the response of why this won't work. Just take it as a way to look at the problem a different way and maybe generate other suggestions.

Mark

Other than stacking, how about placing end to end. Yep, I already can read the response of why this won't work. Just take it as a way to look at the problem a different way and maybe generate other suggestions.

Humm, now I start thinking about loading and unloading the opposite..... have the layout toward the back, and drop that off and then deal with the tender....

wheels are spinning.... though a 14ft layout is rather large...

Mark W said:
Please note, my posts were not saying do it this way. They were meant as a way to generate thought and different ways of looking at a problem. There are many ways others stack heavy stuff and transport it, all I'm saying. Trying to solve a problem by recreating what others have been doing works great sometimes. Sometimes this way is the very definition of insanity. Taking bits and pieces of other thoughts many times generates someone else to add to it and many times a better mousetrap is born out of it. There are literally millions of products that have been born out of taking a problem and attacking it in the manner I am suggesting. I can cite them later if you would like. I can even share many personal examples using this methodology that have been very successful.

I see the method of stacking boats as problematic. I've even found a couple of patents unrelated to this problem (and the search was for something else entirely different) that may work very well and solve the issues created when stacking boats. There may be many ways in which to do this.

Mark

Don't feel bad Mark, true vision is often not appreciated - that is why I haven't shared my ideas.

Going with a different concept think about how a pop up camper is raised with cables and a winch you could make 4 upright posts on the trailer and support the layout with straps, slings raising and lowering the layout onto the same trailer supports as the TDB.
Concerning inexpensive hydraulics rams from a car engine hoist hooked together with small diameter tubing going to a common release and pumping control might work.

RLLigman said:
I used to hunt out of a camp on the north side of a coastal lake, just inland from one of the Great Lakes( MLBob, am I being vague enough?). and the camp sight was right under a flight corridor where mallards and puddle ducks would hop the tree-line shore and drop onto the outflow river to loaf.

That "outflow river" was a little bit of heaven....as was his entire camp! [;)]

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 035.jpg

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 044.jpg

You guys have some great ideas, and got me to thinking about my "problem". I just got an Estuary, and my buddy has a Carstens, Canvasback, (or is it the Bluebill?). I would like to deploy them both from my truck. they both have trailers but, can only tow one at a time.(He doesn't drive) I think it would be cool for the both of us to hunt the marsh from our own boats, together or in different spots. His boat has a 5hp and is under 200 lbs, this should be doable.

MLBob Furia said:
RLLigman said:
I used to hunt out of a camp on the north side of a coastal lake, just inland from one of the Great Lakes( MLBob, am I being vague enough?). and the camp sight was right under a flight corridor where mallards and puddle ducks would hop the tree-line shore and drop onto the outflow river to loaf.

That "outflow river" was a little bit of heaven....as was his entire camp! [;)]

Mallards and other puddle ducks...why I never became a functional writer!

As Eugene would say, "Yah dat be da spot!" Eugene, his brother Elmer, son Paulie have all "walked-on". I had coffee and pie with Elmer's wife, Oivie, two years ago, when I stopped in Eben to request permission to hunt geese on their fields by Rumley. Oivie just passed this winter at 92.

Mark W said:

Mark

Mark, your perspective is much appreciated. I still have some issues with Post-concussion Syndrome from over a decade ago, you can often pick them up via my initial posts; my brain sees one word and my hands type something else. I often have to go back and proof read something long several times. This is one of the reasons, when I get into a project that requires a high degree of abstract thought, I often end-up stopping and asking myself, "what am I missing here?" This is why I put this up to forum input...you folks fabricate some pretty impressive "fixes"!

Last edited:
Dave Diefenderfer said:

Humm, now I start thinking about loading and unloading the opposite..... have the layout toward the back, and drop that off and then deal with the tender....

wheels are spinning.... though a 14ft layout is rather large...

...And it has a seven inch deep keelson where the foot box section of the hull is, to help the boat track the tender while under tow. There is also a dual tow eye set-up on the bow lip area, one eye above water and another below the waterline for anchoring purposes, that I can utilize at a tow strap fixture This is the heaviest part of the boat, and actually should be that last part to come out of the water during recovery and the first to go in during launch, I just have figure-out a means of ensuring adequate clearance of the motor cover on the Honda.

There is another complication to the scenario: I have a hard-top cockpit cover that I need to remove prior use of the TDB. This is why I would prefer to get the layout boat off the trailer first and then prep the TDB to launch. Also, the more intricate the mechanics are that are related to the second tier, beyond the four absolutely necessary articulating supports posts, the less room I have to remove and mount the hardtop for transport and security. I actually would be better served to mount the Hercules with the bow closest the trailer tongue. Which brings us full-circle back to HuntingDave's comments, where he recommends a lift mechanism...

Last edited:
I stumbled on this by typing different variations of what I would call this trailer combination into YouTube this morning. I think this would work well, IF I get the support posts high enough to allow the TDB to float free and not collide with the underside of the layout during launch and recovery. Obviously, a maxi Poke boat is much lighter than my layout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVssvKU-FTs

I see no need for the box framework they added around the top tier's boat cradle...unless he also has a much larger boat he carries up there. The addition of the A-frame member with eye eliminates the pivot point for the cable routing in HDave's initial YouTube post.

Electric winch version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_W5lj-Y7PQ

The downside(s): The lateral supports are rigid and fixed to the trailer frame, allowing removal only by disassembling the vertical support hinge points. Cross braces(3) on the top rack would require me to fabricate at least two cradles that conform to the hull contours of the underside of the layout boat. Anyone see anything else?

Last edited:
RLLigman said:
I think this would work well, IF I get the support posts high enough to allow the TDB to float free and not collide with the underside of the layout. Obviously, a maxi Poke boat is much lighter than my layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVssvKU-FTs

Electric winch version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_W5lj-Y7PQ[/quote]

You have to kind of laugh at the first video. As I know you have a Poke boat, that trailer is a bit of overkill. The guy is going through all that work to load two Kevlar poke boats that each weigh 22 lbs (or something like that). I think I can literally throw my Kevlar poke on to the top of the roof of the house standing on the ground and I'm a wuss.

Nice simple trailer design.

The stacking boats route may be problematic for me. First being it would have to be a total height that is low enough to fit through my 7' garage door and secondly on some of the steeper landings I might be worried about the lower boat floating up the bottom of the upper boat making it hard to get off. Don't know if this would happen but something I would want to consider

Mark

Mark, we have a two car garage that my vehicle seldom sees the interior of, a point our neighborhood association often raises...and I subsequently ignore (Our twsp. ordinances trump their by-laws). Your later concern has been raised as the major sticking point of this approach by several...with no workable solution.

HuntingDave sent me a pm that I think is a pretty elegant addition that would provide some "wiggle room" in terms of the rear support member heights. I asked his permission to post it here to enable anyone else considering this approach to use it.

"Looks like you have found a viable design that would meet your parameters. In considering having the lowest travel height but needing additional height for launching; It would be possible to build rear supports that would telescope. Normal length would match the front supports. Extended length would raise the rear to provide additional launch clearance for the TDB17.

A properly sized gas shock on each telescoping post, would offset the effort required to raise the rear end of the upper frame."

Last edited:
RL. I Gunned with a good friend of mine for yrs. who builds jersey sneak boxes & who is a very mechanical minded person who has built two man boat trailers .which even has been designed to tow with outboards attached , very unique in design. his name is marty kristiansen in little silver n,j, you may want to give him a call his # is732-977-5648 tell him paul dobrosky refered him to you.

Dave, contact A guy named marty Kristiansen @ 732-977-5648 he was at the Tuckerton show this Yr. He builds Jersey Sneak boxes as well, He Builds a Much Better two boat man trailer, No effort to get boats on or off even with outboards attached. I think You Would like. Paul

Mark, Rick, Dave et al~

Your many creative ideas have led me to the obvious conclusion:

View attachment cf_triples_re CROPPED.jpg

You could always have ALL of your gunning gear with you - secure and out of the weather. Of course, I would not want to lash a Pokeboat to the roof - what with the limited bridge clearance.....

And, I am assuming, too, that the new Fords and Chevy's have a "hands free" steering package that'll back this rig right down the boat ramp....

....or maybe I should just go back to bed.....

All the best,

SJS

Back