A fulvous kind of day

Dani

Gold Sponsor
Well Tuesday a friend and I went out to a management area where they have areas that hold blackbellies and areas that hold fulvous (limit is one per day). Interestingly enough they don't like the same areas. So, since I couldn't get into the areas with blackbellies as I didn't have the right permit I was lucky enough to get into an area that does hold fulvous and the blackbellies do fly through on occassion. There were no fewer than 200 fulvous flying around. It was quite neat. And I started the morning with thick fog...fulvous whistling themselves out of the fog is quite magical. I was able to get birds to decoy (which in my experience is difficult to do) and respond to my call (which is lots of fun to watch them circle and start calling back to me). I also shot several ringnecks.

fulvousspot2.jpg

fulvousspot1.jpg

fulvousspot.jpg

fulvous.jpg

The bird on the left is a Ron Smith decoy and the bird on the right an Alan Eastman decoy.

It was a fun day. Saturday I went back and got lucky in being able to get the same spot, but the fulvous were all flocked up. Very few singles and doubles to decoy or call into me. I shot ringnecks and lost my fulvous as it hit the water diving like an olympic diver and who knows where it swam off to.

Dani

Dani - beautiful ducks, very handsome decoys and I love the picture - great colors, tones and composition - thanks for posting !
sarge

Back