A Piece of south Jersey history has landed. Updated 9-25

Great portraits, Jode!

What finish did you put on the decks and rails? (excuse if I missed this earlier)

All the best,

SJS

Classy boat for a classy bird.

You're going to need an old S X S--maybe a Parker in 28 gauge?--to go with all that pretty wood.

Steve, great question, and one I struggled with. I wanted to preserve the character, yet still have it durable and useable. The rails and back deck were given two coats of thinned epoxy. Then 3 coats of Man O war oil spar varnish. I'm hoping the UV resistance of the varnish will guard the epoxy. The biatcwill be stored most of the time upside down and under cover.

Jeff Reardon said:
Classy boat for a classy bird.

You're going to need an old S X S--maybe a Parker in 28 gauge?--to go with all that pretty wood.

Jeff, yes , that's on the list! A buddy has a sweet shooting 28 gauge Ithaca SXS that I love. But he's not ready to part with it!

Another update. The Rehabbed Cape skiff has been in the thick of NJ Rice country rice most of this month. She pushes nicely and the extra room is appreciated by the gunners and pusher alike. Quite a few Sora's have been bagged so far, and a few good photo trips have been taken as well.

I'll have her displayed next to my decoy setup at the Tuckerotn show this upcoming weekend.

Just a note A few other REAL sweet Skiffs will be there as well!

shakedown and scouting runs

View attachment capeskiff3.jpg

View attachment capeskiff4.jpg

setting out
View attachment capeskiff7.jpg

on deck

View attachment capeskiff5.jpg

in the rice
View attachment capeskifffront.jpg

the quarry ( note these are HARD to get pics of! Credit to Joe Pio)

View attachment capeskiffsora.jpg

a real prime Drake
View attachment capeskiffdrawer.jpg

Good morning, Jode~

Great photos! That "candid" of the Sora is priceless.

I look forward to seeing you and all of the rail vessels in Tuckerton this eekend.

All the best,

SJS

Jode -

Thanks for the update and the photo's. Yer doin' the work, and livin' the dream. Two thumbs up!

The new issue of Field & Stream has a long article - OFF THE RAILS by T. Edward Nickens.

When I read it, and saw the photo's I thought of you, and that the writer should have looked you up. Maybe he will next time.

It appears the art of Rail Bird hunting is coming back in focus. "The Sport Of Kings."

Thanks! Oh very cool Vince. Where was the author hunting ?

Today's lunch. 8 Sora over rice with an apricot bourbon reduction. Breast meat is like wood duck, legs are white like bobwhite. Delicious.

View attachment soracook.jpg

Last edited:
I read the same article Vince had and thought that the author really did a disservice by not spending his time with Jode, or at least someone who hunts in a similar fashion.

Jode -

He hunted in NC.

Man O Man that plate full of GOOD FOOD is making me hungry!

We have the same Corning Corelle pattern plates, and entire place setting, as in your photo. From the early 80's. Lotta good food has been served on those plates.

I'm gettin' the itch to go Rail Bird hunting...

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Jode -

He hunted in NC.

Man O Man that plate full of GOOD FOOD is making me hungry!

We have the same Corning Corelle pattern plates, and entire place setting, as in your photo. From the early 80's. Lotta good food has been served on those plates.

I'm gettin' the itch to go Rail Bird hunting...

I love these plates. They have seen lots of Deer, duck and crabs over the years.

Yes in NC the usually walk the marsh in sneakers or run the meadow in john boats. All effective but lacking in the romance of a proper skiff poled well.

I'm in northeast N.C. and last year was the first year I've seen rails around here. They were next to a ditch in the open fields while my brother was mowing ditches. He would let them escape but one flew right into the mower so he brought it to me. Cool looking birds, wish I had a dog that I could have taken out there to flush one or two. Don't have the marshes around me to use a rig like yours Jode. Would love to try that method one day though.

Back