Afternoon Hunt

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
I've been having trouble standing the extended Indian Summer here. It was so bad that last Sunday my wife and I actually got in a day of painting outside with zero worries about whether the temp would be over 50 for 6 hours after we finished.

It feels like I moved to New Jersey . . . . .

Anyway, we got a little dump of rain last night, and the wind (what there is of it) is finally shifted around to the NW. I'm going to go out for a short afternoon hunt to see if things are looking better here at the northern end of the Atlantic flyway.

I'd love to have some good news for the southern New England hunters and will report in this evening!

Weather has been very mild. Talked with a customer in Connecticut today who said he is still shooting alot of woodies and teal. Good luck today.

dc

If Maine feels like NJ then it must feel like NC down here.

I was down to just a t-shirt this past Saturday. Our coastal season second split opens on Thanksgiving and I'm just hoping for some cold fronts. Not many birds other than brant around in my neck of the woods.

That's crazy that y'all are so mild. It just spit snow here in VA for about 15 minutes, and it's getting down to the low 20's tonight. Season opener isn't until this coming Saturday! I'm hoping this front brings birds in, and doens't just push birds out.

Hope you find some birds this afternoon.

The good news--there are some ducks around. I put up a big flock of mostly black ducks right where I expected them. Several hundred birds at least.

The bad news--they all got up as a single flock and headed for the other side of the bay when I was 1/4 mile away. I sat in the "right spot" for about 90 minutes and the only ducks I saw were a pair that flew overhead as I set out the decoys.

Bring on the cold. Come on, give me some Virginia weather!

Back