air rifles

The problem isn't with the mount. It is within the scope, if the turrets are not adjusted past the mid point of its entire adjustment range the point of impact will change. This is a very common problem. Adjust your scope so it will shoot low, I mean screw the adjustment all the way down and back it out one turn . See if the gun will shoot a tight group, if it still shotguns all over the paper your scope may be ready for replacement.

Denis,

Also consider if the scope is rated for airguns. If it is a springer, the double recoil of the spring can damage most rifle scopes. You must have an airgun specific scope on a springer that can withstand the recoil/rebound shock of the piston. I have broken 2 scopes on my Beeman RS2 .177 break barrel until I bucked up and bought a good airgun scope. The inconsistent patterns can be do to the rattling of the glass.

On a side note, airguns are also very selective as to the ammo they like to shoot. Each gun will be "pellet specific" and will require testing to determine which pellet they like. My Beeman likes JSB Exact Express at 7.87 grains and will achieve 1/2" groups at 15 yards. On the other hand, it will throw Gamo ammo at 1.5" groups at the same distance. Remember, accuracy is in the details. If you can shoot an airgun well, you are doing it right:)

Buy a good one...you won't regret it.

Check out www.tedsholdover.com for some great videos and tips.

David, I have been a airgun shooter/collecter for well over 45 years. Springers? I have two of airarms best a Prosport and a TX200. Beeman, HW97K, R1, R9. RWS, models 26,34,48 and 52 I can keep going and I haven't got to the PCP guns yet. Yes I am well aware about pellet fit, weight and flight ballistics as well. I spend a lot of time with Hawk's chairgun program as well. My post's were only an attempt to help those who are experiencing problems with their guns. Scopes that are made on a "true strength platform" such as Leapers/UTG have reinforcement on both sides of the optics to beef them up against the recoil of spring guns( but some do fail, as many so called "air gun compatible" scopes do) I think you missed my point where the problem with the spring and erector tube can and does happen to any scope used on a air gun if the turret adjustments are not past center enough to put pressure on the springs. I have had the very same problem as you with a Airarms TX200 and a UTG Swat scope. The gun( this is a 17 fpe gun sold here in the USA) was zero at 30 yards and basically shooting one small ragged hole when all of a sudden I get a flier at 12 o'clock and then 2 more. I didn't change anything, still shooting from the same tin of JSB exacts 14.35 grain. I re zero the gun and it shoots fine till the next day when this happens again. I removed the scope and mounts and placed a utg drooper mount on the gun. Replaced the medium rings with low rings and remounted the scope. This time when sighting in at 30 yards I had to apply at least three to four more turns on the elevation to bring the point of impact down to the bullseye. That was a year ago, I haven't had the problem since.

I have a Gamo Big Cat with a scope. Great gun, very accurate and the speed is very impressive also. The only drawback is that it is pretty loud. The supersonic pellets are a hoot to shoot.

dc

Back