Alabama gang

Mark Spolarich

I haven't noticed any postings from the Alabama gang since the tornados....Hopefully I just missed them..Everyone okay down there?

Yeah..hunting just ain't the best around these parts like it normally is. Others have had a better year than most, but on a personal level worst season I've had in 8 years. I tend to normally harvest around 80-100 birds a year by myself and sitting at around the 40-50 for this year. The tornadoes definitely devistated our state and still in the process of cleanup and rebuilding.

Mark

I think a lot of us are out hunting but haven't had much to say and less to post. I don't know of any cases on this site where the spring tornados prevented anyone from getting out this fall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've only carried my camera one time this season and just haven't done a good job of photo documenting our hunts. Kind of the same old stuff. It has been a down season in terms of duck numbers. The exceptionally mild and wet winter has reduced/dispersed the number of birds we typically encounter througout the season. Despite that we've gotten out a fair amount and plan to hit it hard this last weekend.

Eric

We are doing well.....I was up from 1:00 to 3:30 am the other morning during this last round of storms that killed a few people in the western part of the state.

Eric is correct regarding the warm weather, I think we have only had 5 days below 32 degrees.

I killed a greenwing teal last weekend at Scottsboro AL. Thus, the ducks are not here yet with only 5 days remaining in the season.

It was a tough time in April. The power was out at my house for about 7 days. Most of the damage was about 10 miles west/north west of my house.

Thanks for checking in.....like the other guys from Alabama stated..... we would have loved to post more pictures but I have killed most of my Ducks back home in Arkansas.

I talked to a buddy and he said that the sirens went off on Redstone last week but didn't know of any actual tornadoes in the area.

We're getting it on the coast this morning, under a tornado watch and there are warning alrady to the west of us. Going to be a bumpy next couple of hours.
With this warm weather, we are going to be in for a lot of nasty storm fronts this late winter & spring. Could easily be as bad as last year or worse.

I plan to hit it one last time tomorrow for the big divers. We have tons of gadwalls here as well but they are really tough to hunt, i'd rather hunt birds that actually decoy....

Overall, this has been a good season for me, better than the last couple and we definately are holding more birds than the last 5 years.
Mostly to do with the fact our grassbeds are recovering from Ivan, Katrina and the droughts that followed.
If we had gotten cold weather this year, the hunting here would have gone from good to excellent.

Just came off a tornado warning, reports say it was over downtown Mobile. No reports of damage.
Had a number of other warnings just north of our two coastal counties.
Squall line is past us now, winds will shift and the temp will start to drop soon, Should be a good day to hunt tomorrow.

Daughter called and said our grandson's school was letting ut around 12:30--Enterprise area. Guess they had a major twister take out the hight school a few years back, so , an ounce of prevention......

Last edited:
Back