All this talk about doubles...Zabala Hermanos

Chuck J

I was at looking over the used gun rack a week or so ago, and handled a Zabala Hermanos 20 gauge SxS. To my uneducated hands, it seemed "nice", but really didn't know what to look for. Wasn't overly worn, action was free, but didn't seem sloppy. Didn't get numbers off of it or note choke size. I kind of fancy the idea of a 20 gauge SxS for ducks (thought about 16s and 28s, but shell availability and therefore price is crappy), definitely don't want to break the bank for a utility duck gun, seemed reasonable at $300 if this is a model without skeletons in it's closet...or not?

Thoughts?

Chuck

I was at looking over the used gun rack a week or so ago, and handled a Zabala Hermanos 20 gauge SxS. To my uneducated hands, it seemed "nice", but really didn't know what to look for. Wasn't overly worn, action was free, but didn't seem sloppy. Didn't get numbers off of it or note choke size. I kind of fancy the idea of a 20 gauge SxS for ducks (thought about 16s and 28s, but shell availability and therefore price is crappy), definitely don't want to break the bank for a utility duck gun, seemed reasonable at $300 if this is a model without skeletons in it's closet...or not?

Thoughts?

Chuck

Sounds too fancy for you. May have to change your name to Charles.

Dad has a Zabala 10 ga sxs it's a nice gun and very well built,

Gets me thinking,,,,, I should get it out of the safe and burn up a bunch of the old 10 steel I have laying around.

Back in the day we shot a hand load of 2 oz's load of copper plated buffered BB's That was a goose killer at 50 yards!!

Fred

Thoughts?

Chuck

Or maybe Carlos...

Thoughts?

Chuck

Or maybe Carlos...

Oh Yeah! I like it.

AAh come on Chuck (Charlie, Sir Charles) you've already bought the gun and are just trying to justify the purchase--right? :)
wis boz

There a decent spainish gun, not as refined as a ugartechea but at that price it would be a good shooter. I shoot steel in some of my old guns when chokes have been opened up, but I am leary in my uggie. Mike trudel may have more expereince with their guns, think he shoots a Zabala 10ga.

AAh come on Chuck (Charlie, Sir Charles) you've already bought the gun and are just trying to justify the purchase--right? :)
wis boz

Nah, I procrastinate at any purchase over a dollar. Likely at that price, it may be gone already. I'll have to stop back and take a closer look. If it's gone, it wasn't meant to be.

Best
Carlos Cazador

There a decent spainish gun, not as refined as a ugartechea but at that price it would be a good shooter. I shoot steel in some of my old guns when chokes have been opened up, but I am leary in my uggie. Mike trudel may have more expereince with their guns, think he shoots a Zabala 10ga.

If Mike doesn't pipe up her, I'll give him a jingle...he's a bit obcessed with large doubles, he might not take me serious since I'm looking at a 20.

Chuck

I have a 10 ga. zamballa, heavy built. I had the barrels cut down and screw in chokes added. Shoots well.

Rodney

That was my thought on a shooter, cut it down to maybe 26" and get teh screw in's for all the variables. What did the gunsmith bill come to on that operation?

Chuck

Mike is currently shooting an AYA Matador 10 ga. I believe. Don't remember him owning a Zabala in the last 10 years or so - at least.

Dad has a Zabala 10 ga sxs it's a nice gun and very well built,

Gets me thinking,,,,, I should get it out of the safe and burn up a bunch of the old 10 steel I have laying around.

Back in the day we shot a hand load of 2 oz's load of copper plated buffered BB's That was a goose killer at 50 yards!!

Fred

Ah yes, the good ol' days of copper plated lead out of a 10. One of the guys dad and I hunted with as a kid had a single shot that he used on the weekend, but left with me to "store" during the week...talk about loads with reach.

Chuck

I have a Zabala 20ga. Nice tough little guns. $300 sounds like a heck of a deal!

It felt nice, adn the price was almost too good to be true, was hoping they weren't lemons. Sounds like I need to stop back

Thanks
Chuck

Thoughts?

Chuck

Or maybe Carlos...

Oh Yeah! I like it.

I'll have to carve the beard into a too cool goatee...

Buenos noches
Carlos Cazador

I have a 10 ga. zamballa, heavy built. I had the barrels cut down and screw in chokes added. Shoots well.

Rodney

That was my thought on a shooter, cut it down to maybe 26" and get teh screw in's for all the variables. What did the gunsmith bill come to on that operation?

Chuck
The same as the gun. They will have to see if the barrels are thick enough to do. You can see on mine a little where it stretched the barrels. Should have cut them further back.....

Chuck,

In my opinion, Don't cut the barrels shorter. Open the chokes to IC/Mod but leave the length alone - shortened barrels will change the whole dynamics of the gun.

Zabala is a good gun for the money, infact 2 or 3 times the money. In England, some Zabala ten gauges with thick barrel walls are reamed out to make 8ga. If a guns action can stand up to that, they are very tough.

The 10ga I use for steel shot is an AYA, but if you open the chokes I wouldn't hesitate to own a Zabala.

If Mike doesn't pipe up her, I'll give him a jingle...he's a bit obcessed with large doubles, he might not take me serious since I'm looking at a 20.

Chuck

Zabala is a good gun for the money, infact 2 or 3 times the money. In England, some Zabala ten gauges with thick barrel walls are reamed out to make 8ga. If a guns action can stand up to that, they are very tough.

The 10ga I use for steel shot is an AYA, but if you open the chokes I wouldn't hesitate to own a Zabala.

Hey Mike,

Great info, now with all this info from everyone, it will probably be gone. In reality, 99% of the hunters that go to that shop where I saw it are almost exclusively deer hunters, the odds of another goof ball looking for a 20 gauge double is slim... of course I wasn't really looking for one...but that is when the best things come along.

Best
Chuck

Back