Almost died today

Use the Kill switch if you have one and if not .......get one.

sarge

Yes, even with the PFD, if the boat had came back at you this would have been the life saver.

Glad you are alright, and hopefully you and others can learn form your experience

Best

Chuck

Dean
You certaintly had an angel on your shoulder that day. It's always a series of mistakes that lead to something like that as many of us have shared. Glad it all turned out well.
wis boz

Dean,
first of all thank goodness that you are telling this story today. I am sure not going to be the first to tell you how many times we dont get to read it like this.

I am curious if you know what the water temp was where you went in?
Also if you felt like the waders were weighing you down wearing them or just keeping you from swimming effectively?
No question about the outcome working, but I was under the impression that the waders would help to reduce body heat loss if on.

Again,
we are glad you are home safe with your family and able to tell about what worked to get you to the shore.

Bob

Dean, some ones looking out for you. I'm looking for a big mans vest today. Been hunting out of a boat for years and never wore one. Had one in the boat, but a little small for comfort. Didn't get the boat in the water this year, but ordering one this week.
A good lesson learned by all. Thanks for sharing.

Bob,

I would guess high 30 low 40 lakes been making skim ice on cold nights. As far as the waders go I couldn't swim in them. It was a good decision as i was losing motor function in my limbs fast. I passed the waders back and forth between my arms as they got tired. I must thank bear grilles as I watch one of his programs about surviving in cold water, I kept my head, fucused on my goal. Once my arms stopped working I was still able to hug the waders and kick with my feet, thats why I said they saved my life other wise I wouldn't have made it and drown 100 yards for the shore.

Dean

Last edited:
WOW! A crazy experience! Luckily you have survived to tell about it. Very close call - cold water kills!

I was motoring in my canvasback the other day and hit a submerged stump. THe boat came out of the water and landed to one side, but luckily it righted itself and kept going. Scared me, I slowed down. Realized that it is time to be wearing the pfd and kill switch all of the time!!

Glad you are still with us!

Thanks for having the courage to post this. That was probably pretty hard on your part but you felt the need to share and I am sure it will help someone think twice in the future.

Happy New Year to you....count your blessings.

I've read this post more than once today, powerful stuff. Glad you're okay. I wear a shooting PFD from Cabela's and it has a VHF radio and whistle in the mesh pocket. But I typically don't attach my kill switch cord, guess I'll re-think that one. Again, glad you're okay, thanks for the post.

Glad to hear you are ok, we can all learn some lessons from this.... something can go wrong in a split second, without warning so....

Always wear a life preserver
Use a motor kill switch with a lanyard connected to your wrist
Make sure your tiller extension connection is tight

I recently purchased a tiller extension from www.strongarmproducts.com. They are custom made to your type of outboard and lock on the tiller very tight. Not cheap, but your life is worth $150, right?

Wow, Dean.....glad to hear that you survived that ordeal. Definately going to make me re-assess my lackadasical approach to safety.

Jim

Dean, the more I read this thread the more I think of how lucky you are and that you surely do have someone looking out for you.

Having fell into water barely 40 degrees from an icy dock I know how fast the ability to function just leaves your body. I still shake my head that you were able to do what you did to survive, a sign of sheer will and determination.

I am glad you survived. I am also glad you posted your experience. Judging from the responses, you have made a lot of hunters, myself included, re-evaluate their boating practices. Your post may save a life down the road. Thanks.

Dean,

Thanks for your post. It takes courage to post something that WILL help others, even if it isn't flattering. I used to love to take my boat out by myself. The worse the weather the better. It was pure ego and i could have easily been in the same position as you were today. The birth of my first child changed the way I hunt. I will no longer take my power boat out by myself after September. I always wear a belt style PFD when under power. I found out in the middle of my season this year that the kill switch doesn't work all the time, so that will be repaired before the ice goes out and we start fishing Salmon. You were lucky today on so many levels. Your story put chills down my spine as I could see in my minds eye my boat circling out of control and back at me as I shivered. Wow.

Glad to hear your ok.
Watched a guy go over last year right at the ramp. Holding onto the boat as it dragged him around in circles.
I can only imagine how you felt. It was scarry just to watch...
Be safe out there guys and use all the safety equipment available to you.

You didn't tell your wife about this did you? For some reason when I tell my wife about some of my adventures (mishaps) she just looks at me and asks "Why are you telling me this, you know I already worry enough about you". Needless to say, I don't tell her the really bad stuff anymore, not all of it anyway.

Glad to hear you made it back safely, it is certainly scary territory. I came close to being thrown from my boat a couple of years ago. And I'll tell ya what - I learned my lesson! As I'm sure you did too. I never go into my boat without the kill switch in place and PFD on after that. Somebody was certainly looking out for you.

Steve

Hello Dean. Thanks for sharing your thought provoking experience with us all. It goes to show how quickly a situation can "go horribly wrong " in an instance. Many others in the past have not been as fortunate. Glad you did share this with us, as it may save one of our lives in the future. The good Lord obviously wants you to stick around a while longer. Good luck with your TDB and if I were you. . . i'd play the lottery for awhile

God bless us boaters & duck hunters
David

Dean, I am so glad you survived this ordeal. Please learn from it. as i said in a recent post, it only takes about 5 seconds for everything to go side ways.

God Bless you.

Back