aluminum sneakbox

I've been welding for 40 years. Mostly stick and torch, but I love TIG. You did some nice work on that boat. My hat's off to you.

Very impressive! Did you design the boat or begin with plans for a wood boat? Are you using .100 or .125 aluminum sheet? What do you think the boat will weigh? I am an amateur welder. I have built a 16' alum sled and a 12' pram, but I used a MIG gun--talk about pigeon poop welding. I have beautiful beads and then just plain ugly. I wish the aluminum wasn't so expensive as my mud-motor sled is just too big and I yearn to return to smaller boats without any worry about up-keep. Your boat is just beautiful!

Dave Archer

thanx dave, im estimating the boat to be around 120 pounds and i use .125 5052 marine grade aluminum, really strong stuff. the first boat i had built , i used plans for a wooden boat to see if this idea would actually work and i was very inpressed with the strength and stability of the boat. i just didnt like the original lines, it was to wide, to shallow and i didnt like the squared off nose, so i redesigned everything the way wanted it to look. i should have it all welded up this weekend and water test sometime next week. as far as mig welding aluminum, dont like it!

hey mike, i'm guessing the weight to be 120 pounds. i can move it around and roll it over very easily by myself, or 2 guys could easily throw it in a truck.

John, your original pictures of the boat had a square nose on it, the new pictures show a pointed nose. Did you change this up after testing or are you building both types?

hey bob, this is the model that i will be making. both styles tested very well, i just wanted to change some things to give a more authentic look of a bbsb. this newer model is a foot longer, couple inches narrower, a deeper vee to cut the water better and a inch deeper to give you more foot room when your laying down. tested it sat. and she went better than i could have expected. 1 1/2 foot chop, never had to get out of the throttle. she jumps rite up on plane, 28 mph with my 15 with a spent prop. i forgot the camera for the water test sat, just gonna have to take it back out again...oh dam! here are some pics of it painted on the trailer.

View attachment finished 001.JPG
View attachment finished 002.JPG
View attachment finished 004.JPG
View attachment finished 006.JPG
View attachment finished 007.JPG

John looks DOUBLE AWSOME!! Can you p.m. me on what you think you wll have to get for one?? I like that indestructability and abuse aluminum can offer!! NICE LOOKING JOB!

So.....You guys decided to take it out and do donuts around the NO WAKE barrel.....haha

All changes considered John, how do you like it now?

hey mike, i thought i would get a chukle out of someone for that pic! all the changes worked out great! she handled everything very well! did you paint that hatch cover yet?

Back