American Arms 10 gauge o/u what ya think?

Matt Moore

I saw a used American Arms 10ga o/u, 3 1/2 chambers, with 26'' barrels, choke tubes. Made in Italy, they're asking $550. It has a matte finish blue, walnut stock, a little bit scarred. The action is very tight, it has sling swivel rings already mounted. It's a rather plainly finished gun, but the checkering is clean, and the stock has a palm swell, so I'm thinking it's not a bad buy.
Does anyone know if this is ok for steel, is it a good buy, will it kick the snot out of me? Thanks for your opinions.

My Dad has their SXS turkey special. It is a very solid gun and I passed on a O/U like you've found and wish I would have picked it up. It will kick the snot out of you if anything like the SXS. Make sure it comes with choke tubes, you WILL NOT find replacement ones. Dad's gun is x-full in both tubes and no other chokes for it. Heck of a turkey gun but not great for ducks although we've shot a few ducks and geese with it using Bismuth. It would be a good gun to have but I wouldn't want it for a primary gun if you do a lot of shooting.

Gene

I'll have to find out if it has more choke tubes. The tubes in it have 3 hash marks, so I'm guessing full and full, not too good for the goose blinde. I still want to know if it's ok to shoot steel out of it. I have a Fausti o/u 12 ga that fits me well, so this would be a goose, turkey, coyote gun. The woods here in the Great Northwest, at least my little part of it are very dense. So I'm thinking an even bigger load of #4 buck would be a hell of a coyote load.
I'd probably put a mercury recoil reducer in it. If you haven't tried one of these, it's like adding a 2nd recoil pad to the gun. I'd also have to get a set of reloading dies, and some cases, I'll be thinking hard before I pull the wallet out.

It should be fine for steel shot, I know his has chome lined bores. Dad did shoot a load of BB steel through his x-full choke and it scarred the choke but no real damage. That's why we switched to Bismuth in it due to the tight choke. #4 buck in his SXS is an awsome predator load, we normally use BB when coyotes are not a main target though.

If you don't already have a 10ga and reloader it will be a bit of an investement. If your at $550 for the gun I'd bet you'll have $1000 wrapped up until you buy ammo, reloader, supplies... That said, if I find another for that kind of money I'll probably own it since we are already invested in the 10ga.

Gene

You most likely have a turkey special model o/u with 26" barrels and tubes. The waterfowl special had double triggers and 28" barrels. American Arms Inc. imported Italian shotguns from F. Stefano and Luigi Franchi. Franchi choke tubes use notches to show choke type; (1)=full, (2)=improved modified, (3)=modified, (4)=improved cylinder, (5)=cylinder. The 10ga. may have only came with extractors. They also imported a waterfowl special o/u in 12ga. 3 1/2" mag.. This information is from the Blue Book of Gun Values and the price of $550 if from V.G. to Good condition.

I have both the 32" O/U American Arms and 26" SxS 10 gauge shotguns. I think you have modified tubes, which are actually full choke and ideal for shooting steel. My 26" still has stock tubes and came full/full, but I was able to find modified and improved cylinder to complete a set with some searching.

They are fantastic guns and I highly recomend the purchase. Unless you are really tall, the stock will probably have to be shortened a little. If you want a really killer set up, send the barrels to Larry Nailon at Clearview Products and have him install his special 3 5/8" ported choke tubes. I've got a set of five for my 32" O/U and it's performance with my custom handloads is nothing short of spectacular.

I had one and loved it. The foolish need for a S/S is the only reason it went away.
I dont think you could go too far wrong at that price either.
If you are going to reload check Ballistic Products. They are the 10ga people.
If your need a press send me a PM. I have the deal of the year for you, really.
Lastly check with tru-lock for chokes. I think they actually make them for that gun.

I am a former American Arms rep and the o/u 10 ga was sold as being safe for steel shot. That being said, be aware if you have big hands, even though the gun seems a little heavy, some large hand people get "nailed" by the trigger guard on the second finger from the 3 1'2" wallop!

Let me know what you've got, dies alone for mec are 55 bucks. I'm thinking I'm going to get it, the wife is even getting tired of hearing about it.

I have one of the AA 10g. O/U for about 10 years. It is a neat gun, haven't seen any other 10G O/Us. Like Mike said, the triggers can pinch some and the recoil is what you would expect in a 10G. The price sounds good, I paid about $450.00 when I purhased mine years ago and that was a good deal then. The only reason it has not seen much use in the last few years is I got a Gold Lite 10 that recoils less. You can never have too many guns .

Well, I'm now the proud owner! My dad gave me some 2 7/8'' shells. I hope to try it out tommorrow on the trap range to see if it fits as good as it feels. I gave up a heavily worn single barrel trap gun, a 22 semi auto, and a cheap cap and ball revolver, and no cash for it. All three guns I never shoot anymore, and didn't like. I'm happy and the dealer was ok with it too. Wish me luck.

Back