Another Black Duck Decoy...

Geoff Vine

This was carved for Jim Romig. It's hollow cedar and oil. The head is basswood. I'm working on getting the right sheen.

Let me know what you think.

10-BD01-6.jpg

10-BD01-5.jpg

Looks great to me!

Have you ever done any pintails, Geoff? I can't remember seeing any, but I don't alway remember things real well either. I think a sleek bird like that with your style would look awesome.

Hey Geoff,

I'd tell you I like it...but that would be an understatement.

Question...do you rig this style deek to float? Just curious, not judgemental ;)

Great stuff, keep it coming.

Best
Chuck

Thanks guys!

Jonathan - I haven't done a pintail, but have a Blair style design in the works. We'll see where it goes.

KGW - the background is a photo drop that has a color gradient from top to bottom. It has a flat finish so it doen't reflect. Search photo backdrop on the web...

Chuck - Yes, this decoy will be rigged. I use a flat lead pad weight like a Jersey decoy. So it can still set flat when it's on the mantle. All my decoys are built to hunt...and I hope Jim does.

Last edited:
Wow, if I sprinkle some water on the miniature you made me, will it grow up big and strong like Jim's? Nah, I like having your first black miniature. Nevermind the question.

Oh, by the way, spectacular decoy! Missed you at Westlake this year. It was a very entertaining show, on several different levels.

Geoff,
The bird look great as I knew it would! Love your style my friend! The bird will grace my rig this fall..........gunners are made to gun! It will be shelved after the season and be a perminant part of my collection. I hope you throw som shot over that Ringer I made for you!! Notice I said.................OVER!!! Thanks Geoff........cant wait to get it!!

Chuck - Yes, this decoy will be rigged. I use a flat lead pad weight like a Jersey decoy. So it can still set flat when it's on the mantle. All my decoys are built to hunt...and I hope Jim does.

Good...not that I was judging ;)

You've showed me some of your round bottom deeks that were rigged in that fashion, wasn't sure how you did the flat bottoms. Looks great and functional too!

Chuck

Geoff occasionally makes flat bottoms with the wide foot, so we all remember that he is a Wisconsin decoy maker.

Beautiful lines Geoff, and nice blend, even though it now stop at the chine. (hehe)

Geoff, if you have the book, "Decoys of the Winnebago Lakes". by Ron Koch, look at Ted Dorschner"s mallard on page 38. See any similarities?

Back