Another broadbill

Jay

Well I could not pass up a $500 deal on a broadbill. Aparently it was built by Clark Craft in 1988. I think I might have to do a little restoration work but she will serve her purpose this season. What ya think? Im gonna float test her tomorrow at a local pond. I am thinkin my 25hp two stroke will be a little much for the rig.

Boat1.jpg

Well I float tested her today (without a motor) just in case she had issues and we floated just fine. Did a little fishing with my son and let the dog jump off the boat after some bumpers. That 25 is gonna make her fly!!!!

I wouldn't have passed that up as broke as I am either. I think it's a good buy. Bet my 15 would push it just great. So you could sell me the Broadbill or I could sell you the Yamaha (has only 12 hrs. on it).
Best,
Harry

I wouldn't have passed that up as broke as I am either. I think it's a good buy. Bet my 15 would push it just great. So you could sell me the Broadbill or I could sell you the Yamaha (has only 12 hrs. on it).
Best,
Harry

My wife would have a fit if that happened. Plus the 25 I just put on there will do just fine I think tonight or tomorrow am will be the official test with the motor. I already recieved the "why do you need a boat" speech. 10 years married to me and she still doesnt understand.

Jay, Tom Lindheimer still owned the company in the mid 80s. He raced hydroplanes as a hobby and designed the Arthur Armstrong Broadbill and Wigeon. Here is a photo of his personal boat in about 1988-89 with a Yamaha 40 HP jet drive on it...

BroadbillRZ.jpg

If your boat is all glass, it was more than likely built by the original Arthur Armstrong Boat Company. Back in the early 80s, there was a boat called the McCall Waterfowler if I remember correctly. For some reason I think through an aquisition that became the AA Blackjack...

That's a great boat and you will enjoy it, I think it will handle a 25 and will be pretty fast. I have a Wigeon from the same era, it was built by Tom. It's a good boat, I use it in the Delaware Bay marshes and some of the coastal NJ marshes along the ocean. I had a shelf put in underneath the gunwhale a little forward, much better than the shelves that came with it. I also installed a drain in the stern. It is pretty sturdy, I've been using it a long time. The only thing about it I don't like is that it won't track in the wind when you are push poling it. Under power it is great, gets up on plane easily, corners well. I think you'll find the broadbill does the same. These boats are very easy to move off the mud and only need 5-6" s of water to float.

Cool thanks for the information on my boat.

I got my 25 running yesterday and took her out for her maiden voyage under power today. Lets say fast is not the word. I did not GPS the boat yet...I wanna make sure I have a good handle on her before I try see what the engine is made of. I can say this if I ever wake up late I will have no problem getting there in a timely manner. It was alot of fun.

I had a 9.9 Mariner on one of the Broadbills I had due to HP restrictions on some of the lake around here, and It was scary fast to me running wide open with just me in the boat...

Back