Another getting ready for the season but with a new boat review.

CAnderson

I have been in and around boats practically all my life. Most of that time has been spent on rivers and inland lakes. And the time spent in those boats has been recreational fishing and pleasure. I love boats and I love being on the water. I suspect that most of us can share that sentiment. It was only about 7-8 years ago that I began hunting from boats. That has changed how I look at boats. Well, I still love them and enjoy being on the water, now I understand that you don't have to put them away when the weather gets cold!

I started hunting out of a couple of friends aluminum jon boats. Those would be a 16', 18' and 20' mod-v boats. Each was from a different manufactuprer. When I made the decision to spend money on a duck hunting boat, it only made sense at the time to spend the money on a mod-v aluminum boat. I went with the 16' variety and have enjoyed the boat. It had limitations with a low side (20") and minimal free board once loaded down. I typically hunt with my son, and adult friend and two dogs. This pushed my aluminum boat to the max and we were always aware of the weather and when it was time to head home.

The past few years I have been doing research on duck specific boats and looked at all the avenues and considered sizes ranging from 12' up to 20'. I took the opportunity to test ride several models, manufacturers and lengths. I had many conversations with owners of the boats, and manufacturers of the boats. Last year as I had narrowed my choices to two different boats, I took the opportunity to hunt out one several times. In the end, I was sold on the boat. After my third hunt out of the boat, I made the commitment to Rich Young and Tom Ayers to buy a brand new DuckBoss 15 with the Yacht Club trailer and an Evinrude ETec 30hp with power tilt and trim. I don't believe I could be happier with the decision. Tom and Rich are both stand-up guys and are men of their word. Tom is a craftsman and I believe truly enjoys building these boats. Both were exceedingly patient with me as we went through the process and my many questions about the boat and engine choices.

The boat is designed to hunt two or three guys and a dog or two. Three guys can hunt easily out of the boat, but if comfort and room is your thing, two guys are perfect. There is plenty of room for decoys along the bottom shelves and in the bow of the boat. I took delivery in April of this year and my son and I have been enjoying getting out to fish, scout and play in the new boat. We definitely have put the time in to get out and get used to the boat's design and what it can do. I am very confident in the design of the hull, the construction, and it's ability to bring you home.

If any of you are looking for a new boat or a specialty duck boat in the 14-16' range, then you really owe it to yourselves to check these guys out. This boat is a great design to hunt from. It can handle some bigger water, but drafts little and can get you back into the skinny marsh creeks. The smooth bottom will allow the boat to slide a little in the bends but that smooth bottom also let's you slip right onto or off of a mud bank. That can really help when the tide runs out on you and you want to get back to the ramp.

Here are some pics:

This is the boat buttoned up and ready for taking the ride down to the ramp. For you guys that tow these style duck boats, boy is it nice to have this hard cover and have all of your stuff inside, protected and no worries about anything blowing out down the road.

DSCN10031_zps9684b2cc.jpg

Two places for the dog(s). This works great for me because we often hunt with two dogs. My son can sit in the middle. My friend and I can each sit at the front and rear while working our dogs off the bow or stern.

DSCN10051_zps58b3c6ea.jpg

DSCN10061_zps29b5e1e9.jpg

My son and I spent some time this week getting some of the Original Fastgrass on the boat. Next is another trip out to add some local marsh grasses to add depth and additional camoflage.

DSCN10161_zpsf8f462e3.jpg

One of the specific things that Rich and I spoke about when ordering the boat, was that I wanted the blind fabric to be solid tan. As it turns out, Rich and Tom were planning to give the solid tan fabric a try. So I was a willing participant and now am a very happy customer.

We are headed out Monday for another attempt at some resident Canadas while the early season is open. Really looking forward to another hunt out of this boat and the season to come. Hopefully we will have plenty more pics and stories to share with you guys as the season opens. If you guys have any questions please feel free to post here or shoot me a pm/email.

I also decided to pick up one of the DuckBoss layout boats to try something new this year. I can't wait to get that in the water this year and see how it hunts as well. Hopefully more on that later with some experience under our belts.

Chad A

Last edited:
Chad glad to see you took the plunge. I have been running my DB15 for twelve years and could not be happier. As you know I blew up my lower unit last year and had to repower; so we now have twin motors.
Look forward to seeing you and your son out there this season. Are you planning to hunt the youth season South Zone? I am taking a friends son out, since my son is too old. PM me if you are likely to hunt. Going out in the Delaware river tomorrow to do more motor testing and training son to run boat.

I am definitely glad I made the choice.

I will be headed out for the South Zone and the Coastal Zone youth hunts. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. The 30hp has been great on this boat. I want to try another prop to see about adding a little extra torque for when I have a full load. I don't think it is ultimately necessary but it is more of a curiosity of how it would work.

I was thinking about getting out on the Delaware tomorrow to do a last minute scouting run for Monday.

Chad A

Chad I hunted a 15 for a few years can't say one bad thing about the boat Tom builds a nice boat. We used to tie off strips of burlap to the grass rails hides the boat real nice good luck with the boat

Chad, either go with a drop in pitch on the new prop., or a four blade with a lower pitch. A high thrust four blade would be my choice for better hole shot and torque, with a slight loss of top end speed.

Raffia grass bundles knotted to zip ties or bailing twine clumps that are allowed to unravel prior being tied-off to the rails to hang to the water line are good grassing options.

Are you running the 12 pitch ocm prop? Remember also that weight forward will help the hole shot and trimming the motor can then get the nose up to keep that high end speed up.

I had no complaints with my D13 when I had it Tom and Rich are good people...just decided to go bigger ..Bought a brand new 30hp Etec myself for the new rig. Best of luck, looks like lots of new rigs will be running around the bay this year. economy must be improving ;)

Shawn-

I am using, what I assume to be the factory prop, a 10.3x12 (177249). It does absolutely fine for my uses and load. The hole shot is not a problem and the boat seems to jump up on plane with my typical load. I had two adults, my son, two dogs and a medium load and the boat was moving about 27-28mph according to the GPS. That sounded good to me. I am not sure how much or if I should really expect anything more.

I had read a thread on the ETEC owners group forum about using a four blade on a 13-15' boston whaler or similar hull. I don't recall the results exactly, but remember enough to know the owner was quite pleased with the performance. For me it is more a matter of I want to try something different, versus the actual need to do something different because I want more out of the boat.

Chad A

That is the factory prop the same one I have on my boat, my GPS shows 23 mph that could be GPS. The E-tec does not do what my 40hp Johnson did, but considering the weight of the new 40hp the difference is not that noticeable. I ran the river today and I really enjoyed the layout of the new motor, very easy to run and starts great, even pull starts one pull every time.

My son did a great job running boat, but really needs practice backing up the trailer...lol...got some good gopro shot of how not to back up.

I bought a solas amita 4 blade for my new Etec....haven't run it yet. But have read some decent reviews

David-

Any chance it was the Amita 4, 10.2 x 11? If so, I would love to here the results once you get it in the water.

Chad A

Shawn-

Glad to hear the boy did well running the boat. My boy is only 13y.o. but he has started studying for the safety test. That will at least let him run a 9.9hp on a 16' or smaller boat. I let him run the boat a couple of times this summer to get an idea of how it all works. My thinking is, even if he is not supposed to be operating the boat, if something happens to me while we are out, he NEEDS to know how to operate the boat to get us back to the ramp and to help. So, he will be learning how to operate the boat safely.

Of course he is a little more excited about getting a smaller boat with a 9.9hp now that he knows he can take the test and run a boat on his own.

It is great you are letting him back up the trailer. My dad had me driving with the trailer as soon as I turned 16y.o. Good memories and plenty of laughs while figuring it out.

Chad A

Hey, that's my boat! I've been eyeballing that one for a couple of years now and drooling over it everytime we go to Tuckerton. Looking forward to drooling on it again this year too. One of these days I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just do it. See ya in Tuckerton Rich. And Chad / Shawn if I have any questions for an owner I hope you guys don't mind if I shoot you over a PM or two in the future.

Congrats on the boat...nice purchase!!

Steve

Steve-

By all means feel free to shoot me a pm or email with any questions. I can do you one better though. I can bring the boat down to Tuckerton on Saturday of you want an opportunity to run one in the bay. Let me know. I am going anyway and was planning to get put it in the water down there anyway.

Chad A

Well I'd be a fool to pass you up on that offer Chad. I'm in! I really appreciate it too. I'll shoot you over a PM.

Steve

Steve feel free to pm I have lots of real world experience in this boat. I have run it with a variety of outboards and in all weather conditions. Look it up on you tube under duck boss boats

Back