Another Kid's First....

Jay Anglin

My 8 year old Mitch shot his first goose this past Saturday. It was in the decoys with and he shot it like a turkey on the ground with his 20 and you know what...I couldn't have been more proud. You gotta start somewhere. He also got to witness one of the best hunts I've been on in a long time. We had approx 2500 birds work us over an hour and half. I worked to land them in front of us so he could shoot another one but the set up was not very conducive to this and most birds glided in over my head at 15 to 40 yards and landed behind us. I carefully shagged birds out repeatedly and we finally had a taker. Same drill...bang/dead. Atta boy!

We ended up with 5 including the white freak. I'd seen it 4 days in a row all over place and lo and behold it came right in with a flock of 10 Canadas. Gorgeous bird.
mitchiesfirstgoose.jpg

MWAFirstGoose122609017.jpg

Way to go, Mitch! I shot my 1st honker the same way on the water when I was about your age. I'm sure your proud, Jay. Way to keep the tradition alive.

Kids been getting a lot of back time in the field. I dropped these in the blocks at about 10 yards. We tried and tried but he never connected this day and he was happy as could be anyway.

mwajwaparlberggoose123009015.jpg

Looks like you had a great hunt with your boy. I'm sure he's hooked for good now!

Way to pop that huge goose, Mitch. I'll bet that you can hardly wait for the next hunt.
Jay, do you know a waterfowl biologist in the area that could take a look at your white goose? Who knows?
Al

Thanks guys. Yes Al, I hunt with one but in my experience they really don't care much for hybrid chit chat. I'd be more inclined to send it to a college professor. Hint.

Thanks for the recipes. Mitch eats game mostly...it's unreal. He would eat goose, duck, venison etc everyday. I've been making a lot of jerky lately. We are going to eat lots of game this winter!

Back