Another TDB Classic vs Sea Class Hull

Ryan Tucker

How do you know when you have a planing hull?

Got some info on the differences still trying to lock down the difference between the Sea Class and Classic?

My observations... To start with the Sea Class weighs more twice as much..... TDB claims that both are mod V's... but I would take exception to the Classic truely having a mod V.. the Sea Class does... the SC is 2" deeper (in the cockpit) And the transom is entirely different on the SC.. it has a splash well as well as having almost 2' more boat at the transom.... and of course the SC is rated at a 40 hp compared to 15 on the Classic...

I would love to hear something from someone that has been in both... or at least the Sea Class....

One of my hunting partners in Vermont has a 14' SC which I have hunted with him out of for 5 or 6 years now. I have hunted with Gene Jr. In his classic 14'. There really is no comparison, though I did not pilot Gene's I have piloted the SC. The splashwell, the more ridgid hull, the higher, more substantial blind canvas, more room inside.... the SC is a noticable difference. Not that I would not have a Classic... but I don't have either. If I was looking to get one... I would pick a SC. The only complaint I have with my buddies SC, is he has it underpowered. I think he has a 25hp on it. We both go over 210, with a dog, and 4 or 5 dozen decoys, I need to lean out over the front deck until he gets it on plane. If they are rated for a 40hp, that would be perfect!

Dave

I have owned both and currently have a sea class, both plane and the sea class is a beefed up version of the classic, the sea class runs a long shaft and the classic runs a short shaft

I've been in both, and own the SeaClass 14. If you have any distance to run, or may get into some snotty water, you want the SeaClass. If you don't have a long run, hunt alone mostly, need 2" less draft, and aren't in a hurry to get there, and need a bit more concealability, the Classic will suit you better.

I have a 25hp Mariner on mine, and loaded with two guys, dog, 1.5dozen cork and cedar dekes, dozen goose floaters, 2 big river anchors, 2 10# mushroom anchors, I don't have any issues getting on plane.....now....I added a tail last year and dropped the prop pitch this year.....plane at around 22mph WOT

My advice is this: if the TDB brand is what you want, pick the model that suits you and just buy a new one from Arthur Armstrong. You are going to have an extremely difficult time finding an SC 14, and if you do, you are going to pay several thousand more dollars than it's NADA and insurable and financeable value. The prices on the classic style are out of wack as well, totally insane actually. The AA built SC14's are rated for 40hp as well. The Maine boats are tagged for 25hp.

I have owned both and currently have a sea class, both plane and the sea class is a beefed up version of the classic, the sea class runs a long shaft and the classic runs a short shaft
You run a longshaft on the SC? TDB says it takes a short shaft...

Last edited:
I have a maine built sea class which take a long shaft,the newer boats from kentucky are different and i think the mold was modified so they can use a short shaft,there is no comparision with the classic hull vs the sea class, the sea class is a beefier and has more leg room but its downfall is that it is heavier and draws more water i have just picked different areas where i wont get stuck in the mud

How do you know when you have a planing hull?

Got some info on the differences still trying to lock down the difference between the Sea Class and Classic? Planing verse displacement Planing hull will go faster with more horse power but will also give you a harder ride. A displacement hull will only go so fast no matter how much horse power is has. Displacement will give you a softer ride in rough conditons but a slower ride. Downeasters are true displacement hull As for the tdb the classic is a true flat bottom boat (planing hull) and you will notice on a rough day why people hate the ride of a flat bottom boat. When poling in shallow water or gunning you will know why people like flat bottom boats. The sea class has more of a v to the hull but is also a (planing hull) with gives you a better ride it is a much safer boat in rough conditions but will not go in as shallow of water as the classic.

My Maine built boat takes a long shaft. I don't know why they would change the mold to go short shaft, especially with the new rating for 40hp, which I don't think you can find one with a short shaft. It's already a long reach with the long shaft motor. Unless they mean 20" vs 25" shaft, not 20" vs 15".

re: "How do you know when you have a planing hull?"

A planing hull typically will be broad/flat (sometimes flat"ish") at the stern with minimum/no rocker.

A classic displacement hull is a double ended dory.

I'm not aluminum boat expert but looking at any "typical" (Starcraft or whatever) aluminum boat to 16' feet or so I'm struck that these boats are built to optimally plane with the least HP. They are built with flatist widest sterns possible.

Back