Anybody getting ducks in the UP of Michigan?

Ron Simmons

Well, after missing the first couple of weeks of the season here in Southern Michigan I am finally getting to go hunting. We are headed to Au Train lake in the UP tomorrow morning and I was just wondering if anyone had any info on what we might expect. Weather looks like it won't be too cold. Last year we went a week later and saw some divers, but still got teal.
Thanks for any info in advance
Ron

What a great time of year to just be out at Au Train. How long you staying & where?

Expect a little bit of heaven!
View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 085 (600 x 375).jpg

Athis time of year it should be beautiful. Bluebills should be arriving + don't overlook the chance for puddlers in the waters that feed into the main lake.

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 035 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 062 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 149 (600 x 389).jpg

View attachment AuTrainMLBXII 054 (600 x 399).jpg

Great shots Bob, We are staying at Northwoods resort. Nice folks and comfortable accomadations. We also have reserved one of their blinds. Last year we had the one on the North end of the lake near where the river exits to Lake Superior. We shot some teal and a few Buffies and Ringnecks and did see a few Mallards. We have my boatblind too so if we have to move to find something we can.
Maybe by next year, I'll have a layout boat to try.
Ron

Ron,
Its a bit of a lull on the western end of the UP right now. Not that you wont see any birds there are some around just not big numbers. I am sure if its the same over there you will kill a few birds.

Well, we made it back from AuTrain lake and a week of hunting and what a great time. We ended up with great shooting for 2 of our 4 days and decent shooting the other 2. We saw mostly Buffies, Bluebills and Ringnecks the first couple of days and then a big front moved in and the variety changed. I shot my first sea duck ever, a drake Scoter and missed shots at Canvasbacks and Old Squaws (also my first time seeing either of these ducks.) Even got to watch a Bald Eagle steal a cripple from us before we could retrieve it. The folks at Northwoods were very accommodating and all in all it was a very enjoyable week.

Bob,

Seeing that gun leaning on the layout is getting my blood pumping...Jealous...Jealous...Jealous!

Regards,
Kristan

Back