Anybody using the Styx River-Neo Mats in their boat?

Steve Sutton

the hype about it is all good but I haven't talked to anyone thats actually used it.....be interested to hear from someone thats actually used it...

Thanks,

Steve

I'm talking about gluing custom cut pieces together to make one mat.....

You getting yours from Styx direct or from one of the "big box" places......Going direct will save you almost 20% on the price.....

Steve

Just looking at the photo on Cabela's and reading some of the comments, it seems to be too soft and flexible. I'd be more inclined to go with an EVA foam product like Hydroturf or one of those exercise puzzle mats.
Rick

The Tank has full length neo. The stuff is nice under the foot, not too soft, IMO, and it doesn't fade although it doesn’t get too much UV being inside the blind. But they hold up super. Easy to clean. The only problem is they hold water like a sponge and take forever to dry. Not a super big deal, but they always seem to be wet. They don't get mildew because of this though.

Hitch

123106-08.jpg

123106-04.jpg

Hitch - your boat looks too clean and perfect to even hunt out of! Very nice!

I have heard though that the Styx matting does sort of stay spongy wet, and that has always been my concern about trying it myself.

John,

I don't remeber that being there when I hunted with you on the Mississippi. Did you add that later or is my mind getting feeble? Is it thick enough I can now see over the blind? :>) :>) I suppose I'll still need and extra cushion for my butt.

Todd-was thinking of putting it on the bow platform of the big boat so that "guests" dogs didn't have to lay on the cold aluminum, and also in the back where Mike sits so he's not on the wet carpet all the time....

The "hype" says it only absorbs 5% of its wt....that sounds good on paper but based on what John is saying its "too much"....the last thing I need is wet neoprene that "freezes", making it worse than the bare aluminum or the outdorr carpet I already have.....

Interesting the its "neoprene" and absorbs water at all....Mile's vest doesn't...waders don't....wonder what the difference is?

John...thanks for the "water absorption" heads up....

Steve

Steve- How about you install some radiant heating up there, and while your at it, a seat warmer for my favorite seat in the front, and dont forget a new cup holder - drink koozy thing for my tripple shot venti espresso.

And... most important a midget warmer for the day you have to pull some from the sea.

Got those.....

Work fine just thinking of something a little softer and warmer for the dogs.....

Not that they complain....its me thats the wimp.....

Steve

It is closed cell neoprene, from looking at it, but the "Camo Skin" is a fleece like material which seems to stay wet. It may be very little water. And it never froze on my trip up north. It may just be ca small amount of water in the skin, but boy, it sure is hard to keep dry.

Shah likes it in his office.

123106-21.jpg

010607-03.jpg

Hitch

Steve,

This is kind of a broken record comment, but, I have had great luck with the OD Green army sleeping mats. Closed cell foam that doesn't absorb any water that I have been able to notice. I think they are 1/2" thick. I just put them on with contact cement. I've had them on the floor of my BB3 for 5 years now and still going strong. Quiet, waterproof, warm and if they get iced up just whack 'em with a stick. Not sure who sells them now but at the time they were $8/each.

Still have a black box full of scooby snacks and the worlds best food: blueberry cream cheese muffins from QFC? I would throw puppies and babies out windows for one of those muffins.
D-

John,

I don't remeber that being there when I hunted with you on the Mississippi. Did you add that later or is my mind getting feeble? Is it thick enough I can now see over the blind? :>) :>) I suppose I'll still need and extra cushion for my butt.

Nope-Yep-Nope,

Neo was there.

Hitch

Hitch, man I have to say rig looks very slick... by any chance do you have any more pics? Sorry about high jacking the post.....

" . . . and if they get iced up just whack 'em with a stick."

So, Pete, what model of mat-whacking stick do you use on your boat? Most of the sticks you see guys using are those cheap, imported plastic models that break before even half the ice is off the mat. Have you heard whether Drake is coming out with an "old-school" stick?

Steve

I didn't read the thread, so my response may duplicate other responses. From my experience, hunting from a buddy's boat with them. The absorb water like crazy and are very heavy wet. They seem awkward. I have hydroturf in both of my boats and love it.

Back