Anyone else ever see this?

Mark W

I?m out this morning doing the minimalist hunt out of the Poke Boat. I am sitting in the boat a foot off the shore or so. I hear a beaver swimming around and slapping his tail, seen the before. Scared the crap out of me more than once before. Anyway. I?m sitting here minding my own business and hear this weird snorting sound behind me. I look over my shoulder and it is the beaver coming right at me. He gets to within 2-3? of me and I?m wondering if these things ever attack. I?m in no position to do anything other than club him with my paddle. Beaver comes a little closer and starts slapping his tail and getting me wet. The hen he goes away and is swimming in circles out about 20 yards.

Anyone have a beaver snort hat them before?

Mark

Pretty regularly when I hunt my big blind on river. Backs right up to a hutch and they sometimes swim right under dog platform going back in of a morning. Usually when it happens we,ve got decoys set and returning beavers didn,t realize we were in blind. Of course once they,re right to blind they spot us and slap and ocasionaly snort as we,ve invaded their space. Once they,re settled into hutch we here them in there cooing to each other.

I paddle in to deer hunt and had one growl at me in the dark then, of course, proceed to slap the water to let the world know that I was there. lol

They can and will attack tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZGTQagkT1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBTSIBHjb8

We used to hunt a slough in northern NJ. One hunt, middle of December, we had no less than 10 beavers swimming around us. They are normally pretty docile. It takes a lot for them to attack. That tail-slap is a sign they are not liking you're in their space. It still takes them a lot to be provoked to attack. Usually, you would need to corner them or back them into an hole.

If you do manage to provoke them into an attack, they are quite nasty.

They can be pretty aggressive, in one pond we hunt they came right up to the kayak growling early one morning. Had one surface within a foot of the kayak, very slowly his head emerged without a ripple. They also circle in the decoys while we hunt, and we're careful with the dog. Considering hunting there tomorrow, we'll see if our friends are around.

Due to the on going drought they have migrated to where the water is, and have been very industrious.

It is truly amazing how fast they can construct dams.

Some folks are in for surprises when they go look see. [shocked]

When yer in Their House, ya play by their rules, is how I figure it.

Even after all these years, a Tail Slap very close by before dawn startles me.

Life Is Good.

VP

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Due to the on going drought they have migrated to where the water is, and have been very industrious.

It is truly amazing how fast they can construct dams.

Some folks are in for surprises when they go look see. [shocked]

When yer in Their House, ya play by their rules, is how I figure it.

Even after all these years, a Tail Slap very close by before dawn startles me.

Life Is Good.

VP

The slough we once hunted we went back to this time last year. It was absolutely amazing the transformation these things can make. Apparently, someone trapped all the beavers. The slough went from vast open water to a completely choked off puddle with massive growth of cattails and phrags.

The sword cuts both ways. They cause 100's of millions in land damage by flooding. On the other hand, they are essential to natural habitat.

They do attack. We had one a few years back, that attacked a guy in a kayak. He killed it with his paddle. It was tested and found to be rabid.

Sometimes I'll paddle local ponds here in SC gigging frogs. I could hear chewing coming from the bank of one big neighborhood pond. When I hit the suspect with my headlight there stood a 40 lb (or more) beaver. I quietly retreated. I love seeing river otters, beavers get a wide berth at all times if possible.

Back