Anyone else tired of shooting 12ga?

I bought a Mossberg 500 20 ga when I was 15 and that was my first waterfowl gun of my own. Later on I gave it to my younger brother and took him on his first duck hunts.

I don't currently have a 20 ga but feel I need to buy one after reading this thread. Thinking about the Franchi Instinct L. I have one in 12 and think they might make a nice pair. I shot a lot of ducks with the 12 last year.

The 20ga that I shoot is 2 3/4", which I consider a true 20ga. 3" 20ga was made to replace the 16ga and in my view does not. Same goes for the 12ga 3 1/2" trying to replace the 10ga. I prefer the 16 ga over the 3" 20ga, and the 10ga over the 3 1/2" 12ga, more for gun weight, fit and recoil than anything else. They swing and work much better for me, but to each their own.

I shot that 12g over under for about a decade before I went back to a 20 SXS.

Granted, you can't put as many pellets out as the 12g, but probably shouldn't be trying hail mary shots anyways.

I sure like carrying the 20SXS more than the old 12g O/U.

The 20 has an english stock, and a splinter forearm, so it is low profile and just easier to lug around.

Regardless, the most important thing is to get out there and smell some gunsmoke and watch the dogs work etc.

Back