Anyone hunt with this outfit?

R. Greco

Saw this place on the Outdoor Outfitters show and it looked like a nice operation.
www.tallahatchiehunts.com.
Run by a guy named "Catfish" in Mississippi...
We are considering a hunt in this area in the fall primarily for flooded timber shooting
(already did Arkansas)
Anyone have some intel on this outfit or area?
Thanks

How long have they been in business? I am from Arkansas and my best friend has ran a small guide service for the past 12 years.

They have seen a lot of operations come and go over the years. They are staying small because they are able to provide better service to each hunter to ensure large limits. In fact, they will not book more than 5 hunters a week.

They worked for a large outfitter growing up, they stated that you just become a number rather than a individual hunter(s)

If they have been around over 5 years they should be solid.....they should have plenty of green timber locations and knowledgeable guides

Last edited:
***i'm going to preface EVERYTHING i post with I'VE NEVER HUNTED WITH CATFISH, so I can NOT speak from personal experience. and, i wouldn't know him if he stepped in my office right now...***

having said that, catfish (or the operation tallahatchie hunts) sponsors a mississippi duck board i'm a long time member of and they post up weekly/daily "updates" on their killing....they seem to do really well as far as numbers go and in the 2 or 3 years they've sponsored the forum, I've never seen anyone get on the board and verbally "thrash" the outfit for a shoddy job which, by my estimation, is saying something considering i've yet to see anyone that's on the web not get publically flamed for what others perceive as a bad hunting experience...just part of it i suppose.

I don't know whether or not they hunt true "timber" or old dead lakes off the river, not that it really matters when teh birds are down, BUT it could matter for YOUR experience. truth of the matter there's not much opportunity for "true" timber hunting down here anymore - rich man's game - even for the guide services, though they are there...

not sure this is a great help but i did want to say that from what I see/read, catfish and the flautt's do a good job...

justin

FYI, if you are asking at what time of the season should you come to MS, i would not recommend coming before Christmas.
an outstanding point from the moron in the peanut gallery................i mean, kris.

justin

Also, I just caught the "primarily for flooded timber hunting". As Justin alluded to, there is very very little true green timber shooting that you'll be able to edge in on in MS (it looks like that guide does have at least one tupelo break). Timber is a big money hunt, and coke bottlers, oil tycoons, and guys like Sutton have that business locked up. If you want numbers of birds and a southern experience, you could do Texas Coast or LA coast. Just throwing possibilities out there.

Last edited:
thanks for all the responses so far..Not interested in Arkansas..Texas or La..been there did that..trying for a new location/new experience..most of us want to hunt the timber again..after a little research I have found that timber shooting in this area is very limited..but it looked like he had access to some..will consider other recommendations..but must be small "family" type place...not into the big operations but not because of cost just level of service.

been there done that in arkansas.. but you want timber somewhere else? is there any better timber than AR? i'm confused :/

I know Arkansas is tops in timber shooting..Its just that we have a thing...We like to travel and almost never go back to the same area twice..Like to see more and different states,species,areas,people,local color,etc...I saw this place on TV and it looked cool.
Thank you Justin..your reply was very helpful and honest..

Last edited:
Back