Anyone use a spotting scope?

David Palmer

I was all excited this year when a friend of mine purchased me a nice pair of Leica binoculars in honor of his late father, an avid outdoorsman and longtime Presbyterian who was still romping through the woods at 94 -- he lived to be 100. Alas, however, someone decided to remove this precious pair of binos from my truck without me knowing it and now I am left with just memories of my old friend and un-Christian like thoughts towards the thief.

Anywho, after an appropriate grieving time, I am now ready to re-enter the optics world and was wondering if any of you use a spotting scope in your duck scouting efforts, and if you do, which one?

Grace and peace,

David

My personal preference would be to own a good pair of binoculars. I then would buy those shoulder straps so that they would fit comfortably against your chest. That would be much more convenient than having to set up a tripod and scope. All depends in what terrain you live in. Out where I live, I have used a scope many times when I walked up a plateau to scope out the Rio Grande far below me. That being said, I would still opt for the binocs.
Sorry you lost that pair of binocs. I'm glad that you still have the good memories of a departed wonderful man.
Al

Like Al I prefer to have good binocs. I haven't looked through the best spotting scopes so maybe that would change my opinion. To me they are hard to scan an area with and they have to be 100% stable. I can see what I need to with 8 to 10 X binocs, if you were going to be stalking western big game maybe then a spotting scope is a must.

Sorry to hear someone stole your Leicas from your truck. It is truly amazing at times how little respect some have for other peoples property.

A spotting scope is almost always a secondary to bins. The scope either needs to be on a window mount or tripod. If you always glass the same area and know a window mount will work then it would be a good choice, but in many cases you have to get out of the truck or need to get closer to the water (to gain elevation or clear brush) and in those cases a tripod would be needed and they are a pain.

I cut my teeth hunting out west, packing in for days and doing nothing but glassing for most of it. Iv spent plenty of time behind and around optics, good bad, ugly and total junk. In my humble opinion, you should really consider a look at vortex optics http://www.vortexoptics.com/ They are far and away the best value for the money. They use great glass, and the warranty is the best I know of. I bought my Nikon moarch 10x42 before I knew about vortex. I have since bought a rifle scope and a spotting scope from vortex and am blown away by the quality, and clarity. Told my buddy to get the 10x42's from vortex and side by side with my nikons they are better and at only 2/3 the price. Unless I win the lottery, I can't see myself buying anything other than vortex.

To answer your question I do use a spotting scope, but it's mostly before or after the season to watch ducks with. I enjoy having an up lose image of them, that's my biggest use for a spotting scope on ducks.

Good luck

I was given a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Bi-noculars about 20 years ago. There is nothing that I have seen thats better. They were on the Windy for at least 15 of those 20 years, When the fishing season is over they're in my truck getting knocked around or in one of my pits. Haven't a clue as to replacement cost . Good luck with your choice.

I agree with the others here. Good pair of binocs first and then worry about a scope later if you want to simply observe duck behavior, details, or maybe look farther out onto a large body of water to see what is present. the neoprene neck straps are nice and comfortable to use.

Zeiss is definitly the cadilac of binocs. I've got a set of Bushnells I've had for 20+ years that I've been happy with. Whatever you get, make sure they are nitrogen filled/sealed and waterproof to prevent fogging.

It is definitely worth spending some quality time and higher expense in finding a spoting scope. The one thing you will want out of a spot is to talk with people on different brands and if they experience eye fatigue. Nothing like a major headache spending time behind a spotting scope.

Regards,
Kristan

Hey folks, thanks for all of the replies. I think I will take ya'lls advice and hold off on the spotting scope in favor of another pair of binos. I've looked at Zeiss, Steiner, Votex, and the like and found a Vortex Diamondback 12x50mm bino on www.opticsplanet.com for $259 (regular $319). Also found a pair of Alpen Apex XP 12x50mm binos for $305 (regular $526). I know the 12x will be heavier, but I'm looking for high magnification too. Tee Vortex's had several good reviews. Anyone know about the Alpen's?

Again, thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

Grace and peace,

David

Its been my experience that 12x, unless on a tripod are hard to keep steady. The 10x42 are the battle horses of optics. Thats why every optics company makes them, and i would venture a guess that nearly all hunters that do any serious amount of glassing own at least one pair. I ordered my vortex from optics planet, no problem with them and they had the best price around. I know nothing about alpens though. Zeis are awesome. Too rich for my blood though, sadly.

Back