Anyone using those fancy laser sights?

I have a laser scope for one of my pistols. Its just a red dot and i think its really slick. I've seen them before for shotguns but didnt know if id like it. A couple weeks ago I'm watching a show called Flyway Highway and the guy wouldnt shutup about his sights. Instead of just a red dot it was a circle with crosshairs. Im sure theres alot of old pros on here that dont need fancy contraptions to drop the birds, but that guy on the show made them awful appealing? So is anybody using them? What do you think of them?

I have a laser scope for one of my pistols. Its just a red dot and i think its really slick. I've seen them before for shotguns but didnt know if id like it. A couple weeks ago I'm watching a show called Flyway Highway and the guy wouldnt shutup about his sights. Instead of just a red dot it was a circle with crosshairs. Im sure theres alot of old pros on here that dont need fancy contraptions to drop the birds, but that guy on the show made them awful appealing? So is anybody using them? What do you think of them?

I've got a Colt Anaconda in 44mag that I deer hunt with that has a one of the first generation Holo sights on it. I've had it on there for well over 10 years and love it for deer hunting/shooting. However, not sure I could get used to one for wingshooting. Although, it has been tempting to try it has always been a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for me.

Brad

It's my considered and humble opinion that the reason the guy on that show uses them is A) They pay the bills and B) he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn - from the INSIDE, without it. Watch closely and you will see that 90% of the ducks he knocks down are shot in the butt because he is too wrapped up in looking at his damned sight instead of focusing on the bird like he's supposed to. OK, I'll stop now before I get carried away.

I used to have an old aimpoint(20+yr ago) on my Ithica 37 with a deerslayer bbl. It worked GREAT. No magnification, shoot it with both eyes open& it seemed to work like a peep site. I loved it except when temps got below 10, I had a hard time keeping the batt. working. Gawd that rig piled up a bunch of deer!

Probally work for those who dont shoot much. I would rather practice shooting, it improves my swing and gun handling capabilities. Un like duck hunting everytime I call the birds come, plus I can shoot hundreds. I cant afford to miss to many real birds. ( that show is just too much advertisement for me, non stop )
John

Last edited:
Difference is you aim with a bullet...place the round in an exact spot...but you should point with a shotgun, idealy with both eyes open (unless you have a dominant eye opposite to your shooting side like me), looking up the gun barrel as an extention of your body, sighting the whole situation, leading birds with varying speed and direction to place the shot...there is an art to it that a laser is only going to hinder the process IMHO

Chuck

So is anybody using them? What do you think of them?

I've had one on my bird guns for the past 20 years. Much easier to shoot with both eyes open with your focus on the bird, the red dot appears to float in mid air.
Put one on my fathers gun a couple years back as his eyesight is going and he could not see his beads while shooting ducks.
2SuperNova-1.jpg

12-9-06BBshoot.jpg

Last edited:
The first lesson I ever got with a shotgun, my instructor put electrical tape over the bead. "It's a distraction that will make you look at the barrel. Just look at the bird, and you'll have no trouble seeing the barrel with or without a bead, as you swing through."

Once we figured out my cross dominant eye, he was right, and I'm still more comfortable with my bead covered up. I think a laser sight would distract the hell out of me.

I too remove all superfluous beads and sights from my guns.

SIGHTS!!! You don't need no STINKING sights!

I second this statement. Wing shooters should not be using sights. As previously mentioned, "sights" will do more to hinder a shotgunner than anything.

About 15 years ago I went ot the local skeet range and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. One of the older gentlemen came over to offer some advise. He worked with me for about a half hour and the main thing he drove home was if I shoulderd the gun correctly and put my head down just watch the target and pull the trigger. I was trying to "aim" the shotgun as if I were shooting a rifle. After his lesson I went from hitting 2 to 23. I came to find out that this guy was a national champion. I firmly believe that any sights or the glowy deals that you can put on your shotgun are just distractions that make you want to aim the gun not point it. That said my hunting partner has the magnetic glow bead on the end of his gun and thinks it helps. I think his shooting has gotten worse but he feels better with it on there.

I never put one on a shotgun, but I have a laser sight on my Mossberg .22 Plinkster, and it is hell on armadillos. Whatever that little red dot lands on is as good as dead.

Ed.

I'm on the side that it could help but don't know. Long before they came out with these "glowy" sights with magnets, I had a local shop pre-drill antoher bead holder on my gun and I put a piece of this "glowy" stuff btween the two bead holders. Acts like a glow dot I would imagine. It has helped my shooting a tremendous amount. I don't realize it isn't there until it isn't there (does this make sense).

I'm betting you could get similar results using a high quality "glowy" site. The smaller the diameter of the "glowy" fiber the better. The longer it is and the more of it thyat is exposed to the light the better off youa re.

Mark W

Back