April Workbench

He was concentrating on getting the gesso in all the “valleys” and to not have any thick globs, he learns fast as do most kids.

Vince after he got done painting he went to his LEGO table beside where I was and created a dog store that had dog food, treats, toys, water, and supplies. Had to stop carving so I could go to him and buy stuff for my imaginary dog named Sadie that he came up with [smile]
Great creative mind he has.

Ben

Long story short.

I went to college to become a elementary art teacher.

Instead I went to the mills, (steel, Westinghouse, tube mill,etc.) to work, so I could hunt and fish more often than just weekends. Plus back then the pay was much better.

At heart I'm still a art teacher. So your story about your son makes my heart glad.

Always Encourage, Don't Discourage Creativity.

Sounds like your doing just that.[smile]

Start the little guy with priming and even base coating. He will grow into the rest--HINT---keep him away from smartphones!!![;)]

George and Randal

He will definitely grow up to play outside and read books and learn cursive writing (can’t believe they don’t teach that in schools anymore) and to carve, hunt, and fish, and how to respect people whether they are elders or youngers.
We don’t own a TV or video game systems so to some people we are terrible people. The most he can use at home is a laptop with some movies and then my old Ipod for music

GOD BLESS YOU![smile] Sounds like he will be busy enough to ignore the "wonders of technology!"
Keep up the good work with actually raising that boy!

Patrick, THAT IS ONE FUNKY hairyhead! Waiting patiently for paint and perhaps a floating picture?[;)]

[/quote]

George
What do you mean FLOAT, just kidding
I have 3 to paint and one more to finish carving.
All 4 hoodies but all 4 with different heads and bodies
george w said:
Patrick, THAT IS ONE FUNKY hairyhead! Waiting patiently for paint and perhaps a floating picture?[;)]
[/quote]

Patrick
That is some interesting head gear and I can’t wait to see it with some paint on to really bring out the character

Mike
I love wire and canvas birds and that black duck is top notch. I might have to make some full body canvas birds now.

Well I got the head painted up and I is finished and am now working on the head board it attaches to and the body. It can hang on my turkey plague and I might have to make a turkey plague with a head now.

View attachment 377A67C0-8F87-4F28-BAD5-2E744A91F876.jpeg

View attachment B9731099-5298-415B-8274-84A16145E1C7.jpeg

View attachment F46B5B62-1E47-4844-83D0-649A63F1C299.jpegView attachment 0557078C-52A3-43F7-B850-22BE420214F1.jpeg

Ben - and Pat and Mike~

Great work all around!

I've been working on this Whimbrel of late.
It's Basswood with an Elm bill - limbwood grown to the strong curve - mortised deep into the head. I will finish it with oils.

View attachment sm Whimbrel 01 CONTRAST.JPG

Also, this old Herter's Model 72 Pintail body just arrived from the Great Lakes. Growing up, my Dad always had a pair of Pintails plus a single drake head just kicking around the shop. I refurbished the pair and gave them to a neighbor kid on Long Island - around 1990 or so. I coated and painted this head 2 years ago. Now I have the right body to go with it (the original flat-bottom design).

View attachment sm 72 Pintail 01.JPG

The condition was "just right". No qualms about ruining any "original paint".

View attachment sm 72 Pintail - problems.JPG

I am amazed that the tail - just Durlon foam - escaped serious injury over the years.

View attachment sm 72 Pintail - sound tail.JPG

The body has now been filled and coated. Oil primer goes on it tomorrow.

All the best.

SJS

Morning Steve

The Whimbrel has classic lines and form. Captures the essence of the bird even unpainted. Looking forward to seeing what more the oil paint will bring. That decoy has style.

Just curious, what is the length from beak tip to tail?

This prolonged winter appears to be bringing some good decoy work with it, before we all go outdoors.

Kudos to all that have posted so far this month.

Good morning, Vince~

I suppose the smart" reply would be: "Why, exactly life-size."

I'll measure the Whimbrel later today.

All the best.

SJS

Last edited:
Vince~

Here are a few measurements:

Breast to tail: 9 -1/2 inches

Tip of bill to back of head: 5 inches

Tip of bill to end of tail (length between perpendiculars): 13-1/8 inches

SJS

Steve

Thanks.

I was curious, cuz it is such a large shorebird, and some are made larger than life. As some old gunning shorebird decoys were.

Could not tell from your photo.

Shorebird decoys intrigue me. The carvers/rmakers usually have much more freedom of expression with them, than with waterfowl.

Back