Armstrong boat

Sorry, seems as if my pics are to large. If someone can tell me how to resize I will gladly post them. I usually use my photobucket page to post pics, but cant seem to do so here. Any help would be appreciated. I can show you guys the flip open doors on mine.
Thanks,
Tim

Brad, I built the frames one at a time over a long time because I didn't have the money for all the wood. When I started actaul building it only took a couple weeks full time. Cost? Not real sure spread it over a year or more buying a bit at a time. I built in a 6 gal tank under the front deck and that worked out well. NO OARS. I tried to row the thing and that lasted about 45 seconds. Motor or push pole only. As far as the draining problem I will build a Devlin next. I have built a Poleboat from Devlin plans and absolutly love it. I just keep a sponge and bilge pump to keep it dry. Once a season I will pull up the floor to clean out the hulls, feathers and donut bags. The best change I made was to build a curved coamiing by heat bending the plywood and laminating three layers. Take a look at the pictures in the spec section of this page Sneak boats. Got to get to bed now the work week is short this time of year and I am off this weekend again. Good luck

Thanks Tom for sharing your thoughts and experience with the boat. I am really unsure of what to do...I sometimes I think I should just by an aluminum hull and deck it over, that way I have a duck boat/bass boat/family boat all in one, but I am haunted by the want to have a specialized duck boat. A buddy of mine suggested that I build the boat, use it for a couple of seasons and then get a fiberglass mold made from the hull, eliminating the drainage problem and then sell the wooden boat...Oh well I will dwell a little longer.

My present boat is leaking like a strainer, the rivets seemed to have really loosened up after the hunt this week. Spent several hours on the trailer which shouldn't of hurt it but I think the straps were too tight and it must have put some extra pressure on the rivets. There was several inches after an hour so we bailed and bailed though out the day. So now I really feel the need to get something else so the season is not a write off.

Thanks again.
Brad

Brad if you have time tip the boat over and paint it. This isn't the final solution but it will slow the leaking.

I decked over a alum boat. The down side is it tends to be top heavy. Building a duck boat from bottom up is really the way to go.

Wispete...I went to a boat guy today and he suggested taping the rivets in the area of the leakage, he says that unless the aluminum is old and cracked I should be able to tightenen it up alot, he also said there is an aluminum weld putty that if smeared over problem areas can also help. So that's what I will try this week-end and I also will put a fresh coat of "coffee bean" brown on her. If I can get this season out of the boat than I will get my shi$ together by next season!!!

On another note I see you are from Wisconsin, I lived there back in 87, in Wild Rose just outside of Wautoma(oops on the spelling) are you close to there??

If you have access to the inside, you may be able to tighten the rivets, or if there only a few you can drill them out and replace them with a nut and bolt with a washer. Not pretty, but might fix you up for the season.

Charlie

Brad, The aluminum weld putty should work well. If you know the exact places it leaks. I have used it on a lower unit on boat motor. Make sure there isn't any grease or oil on the aluminum. Dawn dish soap takes care of that. Also rough up the aluminum, a couple good scratches. Wear some rubber gloves. The stuff is nasty on the hands. The weld putty I used came as stick and you cut off what you need and knead it with you hands. You have about three or four minutes working time. To smooth it have a cup of water near by. Wet your finger and smooth. This should be a good temporary fix. If the boat doesn't flex a lot in the area could be a permanent fix.

The lower unit I fixed the first time lasted four years until I hit a rock or stump. I fixed it again still good. Three or four dollars vs two hundred for a new lower unit. The secret of the putty is clean aluminum and scratches.

I live about seventy miles from wild rose North West. I use go though there searching for trout streams while I stayed in Waupaca in the late 60's. If I remember they had a mill pond and a old flour mill at the dam. I drew a picture of that for a Art class while going to Oshkosh Summer school.

Back