Arthur Armstrong Wigeon

leonard

I am looking for some advice on how to set up a arthur armstrong wigeon for hunting .
I have had this boat for two years and never hunted out of it .
I would like to set it up for one hunter .
The boat will be used for puddle ducks .
In the past I have hunted mainly divers from shore so this will all be new to me .
Any information will be helpful . thank you .

Post up some pictures of how it is looking now and we can better answer your question.

Hi Leonard-I have the same boat and have had it for about 15 years. I don't have any pics for you now but maybe I can give you a few idea's. I have put some closed cell foam anti-fatigue flooring on the deck, it gets cold here in Jersey during hunting season and it is a good base for both me and the dog. I also have a Momarsh Invisa-lounger for a seat, it works great and is comfortable. If you want to sit a little higher I use either one or two square floation cushions underneath it. On the deck I put in a bunch of nylon eye straps(http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Eye%20Straps&category=572&refine=1&page=GRID) from bow to stern to tie grass to. I also have a 4X4 piece of fastgrass to throw over my legs and the open cockpit. The dog sits in the front of the cockpit and I sit just behind her with my feet toward the stern. That setup works very well for me. I also now use a piece of camo burlap to throw over the engine, have found it easier and more effective than a piece of grass which tends to blow or slide off. I run a 9.9 Merc 2 stroke on it and it planes and makes good speed, between 15-20. You need about a foot of water, maybe a little more, to get it up on plane. I keep a 10' pushpole inside up under the gunwhale to get around in shallow water. I have pushed this boat across soupy mud when I got caught on a low tide, would rather not do it again but it can be done. I use it in the salt marshes of NJ. I don't venture out on the bays, or if I do, not very far from land, just because I don't like to and I don't think the boat is really made for that, but I have been in 2-3 footers in it and it handled it ok. The boat hides very well and easily and is a stable shooting platform. You can stand on the edge and it won't go over. I had to stiffen up the bow several years ago as it was cracking due to deflection, but since then it has been fine(this boat is probably 25 years old now). I also had somebody make me a shelf for the starboard side a few years back and it is very utilitarian and has made a big difference for storing things, as the ones that come with it are small. I also put a small strip of wood across the front the existing shelves to hold things in, if you don't, they just fall or roll out. I had a drain tube (and plug!) put in the stern, mostly so I could keep it dry from rainfall getting in and to drain it when I get back from gunning. I will try and get a picture later this summer when I can get to the boat. I have enjoyed this boat and feel pretty safe in it. It doesn't track in the wind without power, that is the biggest drawback that it has (pushpoling). I use it pretty hard and find I need to put a new skin of glass along the keel every few years. Hope this helps.

Bob I will try to get some pictures up this weekend .
I have to wait tell my son gets home
He is the one with the know how !

Greg Thank you for all the information it dose help .
I have a 7 1/2 Johnson for power but I have not had it out on the water yet .
I would like to make new shelves for the boat --- just trying to decide on what will work best .
I was thinking of making a back rest so I could lay down in the boat.
Would like to keep a low profile .
Not sure if I should make doors or use a grass mat like you do to cover up with .
I will try to post a few pictures this weekend .
Thank you again for the information .

You can use a piece of camo military netting over the decks and attach vegetation to it with cable ties. Roll it up when not in use. Stay low profile. When I originally bought my Wigeon used, it had a homemade blind on it that totally defeated the purpose of buying a low profile boat. A 7.5 should move you fine. I run a 9.8 and mine will go faster than I need at times.

DSCN0373.jpg
DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg
DSCN0370.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg
DSCN0368.jpg

I haven't done anything to the boat yet .
Here are a few pictures of what I have to work with

Mike
Military netting is a good idea.
How did you attach it to your Wigeon ?
I was thinking about cutting the camo net to the shape of the boat.
Then weaving a rope through the outside edge of the net .
when you put the net over the boat you could pull it tight and tie it off on the handles at the transom.
Did you make doors to cover the center of the boat or use another piece of camo net to cover up with ?
Thank you for the info,

The boat in the photo looks like it could be strung with elastic cord to stuff grass/camo in. I'd like to get my hands on a Wigeon...had a Broadbill and never should have sold it.

Just like dewayne said, except I zip tie camo skirting to the eyelets. So after season you can snip off zip ties and not have to unstring camo/para cord through all the eyelets. This keeps from putting extra wear and tear on it during the summer boating. The eyelets on my AA.broadbill go all the way around the cockpit coaming. it works likes achamp and holds up to trailering great( two trips to ch. bay last year @ 70mph plus) plus Erie trips.
My boat came with vertical side panel doors from last owner, they worked if you were in taller brush but no over head cover like a spray dodger. I switched to dodger and I way prefer it. Enough room to hide my upper body and a very excitable Chessie. I think there are some photos of Steve steffy and I back in january hunting with are boats in old posts.

Gene R.

DeWayne
The boat had elastic cord all around it but it had gone bad over the years and was removed .
I was very lucky with this boat . My hunting partner decided to build a wooden boat ( bluebill ) and gave the Wigeon to me two years ago .
I have received some good information -- Thank you all .
I will post some pictures when I am done .

Leonard,

Are the guides still there for the elastic cord? If so "The Rope Dope" is an excellent supplier of quality bulk bungee cord. He usually has it in brown and dark green. His line (rope) prices are good too but I have the advantage of seeing him at local shows and picking out what I buy. He was just at the Mystic Seaport wooden boat show and always hits the big New England "Sportsman's Shows" in the late winter.

Scott

PS: I just noticed his web site hasn't been updated for years. Not sure if the pricing is still good. Call him, he's a decent guy.

Last edited:
I have a AA broadbill and I use camo nets Sometimes. If you use it to lay out be sure to have a canvas or
something between you and the net. If you don't you'll feel like you're in a gill-net when you try to move,
let alone shoot. It works well and when there is no ice I let the edge of the net drape into the water.
I don't always use the nets but they work very well if you don't get tangled in it.
My .02 John

Greg
Now I have one more thing to add to the ( to do list ) for this boat.
Thank you -- this is just what I am looking for good ideas with pictures .
The shelves that the boat came with are not as good as they could be and are on the small side .

Do any of you AA Wigeon owners experience any flexing in the hull when running this boat? My friend owns a Chuck huff from MLB and his hull has a lot of flex.

I have only had the boat at home and have not taken it out on the water .
I hope to get the boat out on the water in the next week or two and I will let you know how it rides .
I am almost done with the camo cover but still need to make the doors

Back