Attaching the Motor Mount to a Broadbill

David Palmer

Hey folks! This might be a silly question, but when you get ready to attach your motor mount to your boat, how do you do it? Epoxy and screws comes to my mind, with fillet joints all the way around. But do you ever put any bolts through it? And how about fiberglass cloth? One layer or two?

Thanks for your help!

David

Last edited:
David,

I stitched mine, just like the bow piece and the sides, to hold it in place while I filleted the inside seams. Then I used 3 layers of tape, overlapping each one just as Sam shows in his plans and book. Then I filled any holes on the outside left from the stitching. All outside seams were taped and then one continuous 6oz sheet covered it all up. The only place I used screws was to hold the center bulkheads in place until the fillet and tape were in place.

Let me know if you need pictures, I have them around here somewhere.

Ryan

Make your mount. I cut the lower corner to allow for the drain plug
Motormountpainted.jpg

topsidesternviewpainted.jpg

withcleatsmotormount2.jpg

Make sure it's the proper height for your motor and drill pilot holes in both the motor mount and transon then through bolt with fender washers on both side followed by using Boat Life Life Caulk to seal up the bolt holes and around the edges of the mount where it meets the transom and deck.
Hope this helps

David,
I just epoxied my motor mount on, but to do again, I would probably bolt or screw, too, just to feel more secure. The top fillet can be a weak spot on the Broadbill (can not remember who told me they had theirs crack). I made sure the fillet (were the mount meets the top deck) had a real large radius, and used 3 layers of biax cloth for added strength. No structural issues to date carrying around a 80lbs engine.

-Bill

On my devlin mallard build last year I used 3/8 bolts with fender washers both sides, counter sunk the washers on the outside. I also used thickened epoxy to glue it on, with the fillets all around. I coated it with epoxy, 2 coats, but no cloth. I installed a drain plug bottom center with 5100. I hope this helps.
Dennis

David,

I did what Bill describes for the motor mount. I think I may have used a couple screws just to keep it tight to the stern while the epoxy cured. I used large radius's all around and a couple layers of tape.

Ryan

I had to install a motor mount on my TDBish 14... I used 3/8" ss bolts and then fileted the edges and then went over that with 17 oz biaxle cloth

Back