August "Whats on your workbench?"

Thanks Andy,
It took a good bit of time to finish.
It is made of hollowed out Tuepelo........a friend provided me with the two large chunks.

He has had them about 20 years or so. Not even sure you can get pieces that big now. It measures about 32" long X 13" wide and about 10" high on the body.

The preening head adds another 4" or 5" to the height.

Having never worked much with Tuep. before I was amazed at the difference in hardness from one end of the chunk to the other.

My friend said the part that is submerged is less dense and above water line is more dense............?

Last edited:
Heres some new decoys that I got around to finishing the last few days.

This guy is WIDE and BIG, I could only get 6 cutouts from a whole 24x36x5 sheet of cork and plan on using 3 whole sheets on them. They are really wide and I think I will really like them.

P1040077.jpg

P1040076.jpg

P1040075.jpg

A hollow blackduck that has a variety of influences I used in both the sculpture and paint. It has a spoon weight and leather tang loop.
P1040072.jpg

P1040071.jpg

They are very all nice Zach, but I have to say that the sleeper is stunning. It's a very powerful form. I look forward to seeing where you go with the paint.

These were on my April, May, June, July and now August workbench. Now that the regulations setting season is over, I had some time to finish them. Laminated red cedar heads, tan cork bodies and cherry keels. Derek Z -- one is migrating your direction.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/font]
IMG_2668-1.jpg

partner project between myself and A. Michael Chase he shipped the heads back a couple of months ago. Was able to get to them this week.

P1020807.jpg

mallards 2-5 for me bass wood and painting in oils.

P1020808.jpg

shang mallard, copper curly, white pine body, basswood head. will be finished in oils.
shangmallard.jpg

Just a thought. It looks like the tail curl is attached a bit far back to me. The front attachment should be off the tail of the duck not the tail feathers.

Tom: The wigeon are looking good. I'm glad you put a little epoxy on the bills to tough'n them up a bit. I got a little carried away for gunners. Really, really looking forward to seeing them all dressed up. Ooooooh, and I just re-read your post. Are the wigeon going to be done in oils too? They are sweeeeeet.

Mike

Last edited:
Been painting whenever I can stop the sweat from dripping all over my work...

2010-08-13135827.jpg

Working on a mallard for an old Coot and a coot for a young whipper-snapper. Here's a pic of HuntinDave's mallard:

2010-08-13135734.jpg

Oh darn it...my finger got in the way...

Nice touch for a shelf bird. I personally wouldn't do that on a gunning bird. Won't last, snags on things, cut your hand or dog's paw if he steps on it in the boat. This is just me, the decoy abuser.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Oh darn it...my finger got in the way...
Chuck,

Boy am I glad you said that,,,,,,,,,,,,, for a second there, I thought I had developed cataracts. That's the trouble with being an old fart, always something ailing you at any one point in time. Sorry this is so short but I have to go rub some Flexall Deep Heat on my hip joints. (too much sitting down at work trying to keep my clothes clean so my truck seat doesn't get dirty, don't-cha-know).

PS. Here is that smiley you needed for your post
smiley-angelic014.gif
Yep, that means you are no angel. hehe :>) :>)
[/font]

Mike the wigeon will be done in acrylic I have two of their brothers based and waiting them with combed paste right now. Makes it nicer to gang paint them.

Update on my Brant I've been working on. After multiple changes to the neck I was finally happy with a simple one instead of more detail. I always have enjoyed brant decoys that look older. Just black and white. So I choose a side pocket design that I found George Larsen used on his brants out of Ca.

Its the middle one bottom shelf. And can you see my first attempt at carving? top shelf to the right?? hahaha I think theres an improvement...just a bit. I have to thank Ian Feir immensely for giving me a roughed out block to finish. Or else I probably wouldnt of done this good on my own. Also for tips and helping me over emails throughout the process.

P1040613_1024x768.jpg

And just got this back, tried out a new taxidermist in my area on a hooded merganser I had in the freezer. Pretty happy with it for the price I have to say. Left another hen mallard for him to do.

P1040616_1024x768.jpg

brantsilos.jpg

Some brant silos. Made from 3/8" Azek sheat goods. I love finding a use for something that would other wise end up in the dumpster. Luke
">

Back