Banded RedZone Waders

John Kirk

Anybody use them- know anything about them? Looking at the insulated breathables- wondering about fit and durability ( I'm a stout fellow who is hard on his equipment).

John:

Big guy to big guy, and angler to angler, I wouldn't worry about insulation--just buy them big enough to add insulation underneath. I'm on my second pair of Patagonia breathables. Pricy, but their customer support is outstanding, and I got three years out of the first pair, hunting and fishing pretty much year-round, before I even had to deal with pin hole leaks along the seams, and then was able to get another year+ of good service with a little Aquaseal touch up.

My current pair are near the end of year 2 with no sign of any issues. I don't baby them--I hunt and fish the salt, sit on sharp rocks, rub against barnacles, etc.

I wear just fleece pants under mine until it's below freezing, then add 1 or 2 layers of poly pro long johns. With 2 layers of poly and heavy fleece pants, they are still comfortable to walk in, though I look like a very large Michelin man. I've hunted right to the end of the season every year, and stayed as comfortable as can be expected standing in the mud at near zero.

As you know, folks rave about Simms durability, too.

Every time I've tried to save money with less expensive waders, I've ended up wet or only getting a season or so out of them.

I fish in the Patagonias Jeff- I froze a big toe in 1988 in stocking foots and have to wear boot foots hunting now. I bought the Mack's a couple of years ago and they leaked early and often and didn't fit well. No more neoprenes for me- These banded waders look pretty good, but I'd some real hunter info on them first. I am wearing my Bean tech wool pants under my breathables right now and am perfectly toasty. I add the capilene once it is "really cold.

You seeing many birds? We hunted Tuesday, Saturday and twice on Monday- saw good numbers on Tuesday, but they weren't into are spot. Saturday had some good chances- lost a black, got two teal. Monday, had one bird in the decoys at light, got buzzed by teal and that was it for the morning- Had nobody come close in the afternoon. Hunting Friday morning and scouting coastal in the afternoon for the opener on Saturday.

Yeah, frostbite sucks.

Bird numbers are up and down and unpredictable from day to day. I've had a couple of incredible days down on Merrymeeting; had some very good early season hunting at a little pocket marsh inland, and picked up a few birds here and there in between. I had a meeting today towards Portland and stopped at a couple of spots with good views of Casco Bay. The cold seems to have moved some birds to the coast, especially blacks. I'd bet your lower Penobscot spots will be turning on.

I bought a pair of the Banded insulated waders last year and loved them! They had a stitching issue on the knee (cosmetic only) but it has been fixed for this year. Their customer service is top notch, and I'm itching to put my new pair on for this year.

Banded likes to use a lot of grey in their waders, so keep in mind that your knee chaps and boots will be that color.

Hope this helps.

Grace and peace!

David

Back