BBSB Help

Capt. Frank Miller

Ok I have found a nice old BBSB. Fibergalss over wood with a 7.5hp on it. I weigh about 260. Can a classic BBSB handle me and a rig of decoys weigh wise? IS there anyone here that hunts out of a 12' on open water I can ask some questions?
Thanks

Frank, I've seen bigger men than you in them. The better question might be do you have enough room in the cockpit of this particular boat?.............It should have a weight rating of some sort. My old box had a rating of 300lbs. Happy New Year...............Kevin

Kevin thanks for the responses. I did find out that the Van Duyen boats were made in the 50'S. I found a few pics on the web of people hunting out of them and the look first class. Due to the age I don't think these older boats have capacity plates in them.

I've got a mini-fleet of small craft (one rowing dory, three canoes, 3 kayaks, two Avon inflatables), some modified for duck hunting. I don't trust anything until I've loaded it up with the weight of the gear I hunt with in shallow warm water & check to see exactly what it takes to dump it over.

You weigh 260 pounds. Your 7.5 w/gas must be at least 40 pounds. Gun & ammo 12-15 pounds. Waders & clothes - 20 pounds anyhow. Decoys depend on materials. Your hunting weight must be well over 300 pounds. In a 12 boat in any water let alone "open" !!??

Frank,

I have an all glass 12' BBSB that I use to hunt in both marsh and open water. You may have seen pictures here on the site when I re-did the rig. My boat has a capacity plate that lists it as a 2 person boat, with a capacity of 500lbs persons motor and gear. I have hunted out of the boat pretty close to that capacity at times. Though when I re-did the boat I did reduced the weight of the rig it self by almost 80lbs. I am sure there are others on this site that are more knowledgeable but I would be happy to field any questions you may have.

Take Care,
Gene

Back