BBSB Resoration - Let's Try Again

Capt. Frank Miller

Many of you on the forum have helped me restore my Van Duyen BBSB with advice, parts, support and historical informtion. I want to thank eack of you and share some photos. Sorry I didn't have the dodger up. I also have some work to do on the trailer. The hull is a Va Duyen Brothers made in New Jersey. It is all fiberglass, the outboard is a 1986 Mercury 71/2. The boat is 11' long and has the original oars, oarlocks, dodger, dodger posts, and hardware. I restored all of the dodger track, interior shelves,flooring, and decoy racks. The first photo where the boat is gray is what I started with. If you don't see pics yet I have emailed them to Lou to post for me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank, nice job on the boat. Yep, thats the same boat I ran for about 10 years and really enjoyed the "learning" experience a boat with that kind of history can teach you. The pics jogged some memories I'll share and also how I modified some things: First, see how small that transom is - not built for a heavy OB. Find a '70's 4 hp or maybe a 6 that came in around 45 lbs. Tiller extension is a must. Don't travel with the decoy rack up. Run the transom strap directly on the boat then set your racks up after you launch. I changed the floor to be removable with one bigger screw in the center instead of the 6 srews around the perimeter. I always sponged out the bildge after use and this expidited the floor removal. I remember I replaced the ice runners after I tore one off running thru skim ice one morning and I also shod them with hard aluminum strips. Enjoy the boat Frank! - Jim

Jim,
Much of thanks on this restoration goes to you for the parts, technical advice and all of your encouragement. I have enjoyed talking to you.
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
You are very welcome, Frank. Let us know how you make out with the outboard search. Up here in NY that Merc 7.5 is worth maybe $400 - 450. Find a good 4 hp at a garage sale and you might pay around $350. An old Ev Lightwin 3 hp are from $200 - 350 depending on condition but they are slow. Good luck - Jim

Frank,

Do you check this site?

Anybody know how to get in touch with Frank Miller?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,
check your email. I believe the email addy I sent to you is for him............F.Miller....just as he has his name listed here.
Lou

Back