Belgium Steel VS Others

Tom Roberts

I know the topic concerning shooting steel through old guns comes up from time to time. My question is whether belgium steel is that much worse than other steels. Specifically I'm trying to talk myself into a Browning A-5 or superposed and was wondering if with choke(s) opened up can these safely be shot? I,ve read some of the earlier threads that addressed this issue but never got a definitive answer. Does anyone out there have any actual personal experience with shooting a Browning Superposed Mag with opened chokes with steel? I wouldn't hesitate to shoot Rem Wingmaster with steel and have done so for years without a hint of a problem. And have read all the stories of others who've shot old doubles the same way. Sorry to beat a dead horse again and again but would like to hear from anyone who can personally relate first hand..........Thanks!

Oviously you can do what you want with your own gun. Browning says not to. Alot of Superposeds have thin barrels, too thin to add tubes. I wouldnt worry as much with an A5 as you can always swap a barrel.
I wouldnt risk a BSS or super when soft no tox is available for less then a new gun

I recently had my fathers 1949 A5 Light 12 totally restored. It has a IC, the smith that worked on it said steel was a no-no.

I have a1957 A5 20 ga 23/4 and I had the barrel bored out. Its my early season Wood duck gun that I shot up til thanksgiving.Never once have I worried about shooting it. I did however put in the back of the gun safe and bought a Benelli M2 20 ga ans swear by it. I also have a BSS 12 ga and shoot steel out of that also...my 2 cents

A-5's from the early 70's can handle steel if you go no tighter that improved modified. I wouldn't put steel through a supeposed.

I have a 1938 A-5, have shot steel, bismuth, and tungsten out of it for 25 years. Local gunsmith told me years ago that I would be ok, and it has been fine. The guy is very good, does pretty much all of the warranty work for at least 1/2 the major manufacturers for the area. mine has a modified choke. It's really going to be your call on what you want to do with the gun. You are going to hear a lot of no's, a few yes's, and still won't be sure what to do.

Tom,
what is the reason for the A 5 or the Supper? They are a huge part of the tradition for sure, but it seems like there are a ton of good guns that will handle the steel no problem.
If the attachment is sentimental then spend a few bucks on soft shot for the double at least. The barrel joint solder is an issue on a few and should be checked by someone who knows what they are doing before you pay. The choke should be open a bit if you go with steel in a solid barrel.
Tom Roster has a book on shotgun barrel work and mods. He talks about shooting fixed choke guns with steel shot in it.
If you need barrel work talk to Briley for the double or A 5.

If volume shooting is what you are after I would buy a gun built for the steel shot.

Last edited:
I use an older Browning BSS for much of my waterfowl hunting, I guess for sentimental reasons. With hand carved wooden decoys, etc., I like to keep things "traditional". The BSS, like most Brownings, is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. However, after speaking with a couple Browning reps, competent gunsmiths, and one guy who had "been there done that", I use only Bismuth and/or Classic Doubles in the gun. I know it's a tad expensive, but waterfowling isn't a cheap venture any way that you look at it.

If your barrel is in good working order and your chokes are opened to modified or less you should be fine.

I personally shoot 100 yr old sxs with steel and have no problems. As far as Belgium A-5 are concerned, I ran over 3500 steel shells through it with improved modified with no problem.

Also two friends, one with a Superposed and the other a BSS, both with mod/full choked guns have shot steel since its inception, and continue to shoot it today as it is their only duck gun with again, no problems.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. As I mentioned I've gone down this road before and I end up at the same place. The negative input shys me away from buying a superpose. I sure love those guns but not enough to have to pay $3 a shot to use it. I know 2 very competent gunsmiths one wouldn't say yes or no because he feels depending on the absolute condition that it would be a crap shoot. And the other said no because they are based on a near 100 year old design and have thin barrels. So I'll reluctantly let this idea of mine rest in peace once and for all.......Thanks!

Tom, while many ammo manufactures do charge $3 per shell, New Era Ammunition loads ITX and shells for only $1.80 per shell.

Just another alternative to reloading.

Back