Ben or Jimbo Garvey

Jason Eam

Looking for some input or experience on building and using either the Ben or Jimbo Garvey design. Right now I am leaning more towards the Jimbo with the wider beam however the hp recommendation is a bit higher adding the obvious cost along with weight. Will be using it on the Potomac, Rappahanock and Wiccomico and smaller waters with maybe the occasional jaunt onto the bay in the spring and summer for Rock fish. Normal hunting with 2 guys plus dog, not a whole lot of decoys on the backwater but a few dozen at some places.

Thinking of an open cockpit with benches along the side stopping roughly midship with either shelves or top opening hatches for dry storage, an additional compartment forward for the anchor and lines. Would adding sponsons for a bit more flotation and dog access an easy modification to the plans and build? Won't be starting until late spring or early summer as I don't have a garage and a temporary tent will need to be put up in the yard.

Thanks for the input in advance.

The Chesapeake bay is home to the best garveys in the world. Take a ride to Chincoteague and ask around. The Chincoteague scow or garvey is a work of art. Herbert Jester was an artist, when it came to building garveys, I have a glass 20 footer made from a mold pirated off one of his boats. Mike Hastings up in Ocean City might help you out with some drawings or patterns. Rich

Thanks Rich for contact info about Mike in OC. I already have a trip planned to the other side later in the month to do some hunting and will be making time to check around with the locals. Also just found a 14' with similar lines that I may go see at the end of the week, owner isn't sure of the builder. Will see what kind of shape she is in as the price is right for boat and trailer without a motor, has a 20 hp mud motor also available but not sure if I want to go that route. But I still plan are building one that I can get out on the bay with also.

Back