Benelli Problem

I'd be very frugal with WD-40, as a very good gunsmith told me it's a type of penetrating oil, that is not good for springs, or much else. I've not used it on my guns, or fishing reels since.

I'd be very frugal with WD-40, as a very good gunsmith told me it's a type of penetrating oil, that is not good for springs, or much else. I've not used it on my guns, or fishing reels since.

WATER DISPLACEMENT(hence the WD) and in terms of "salt water" that's a good thing....I think the "My old gunsmith said" is a myth perpetrated by an industry that wants you to buy more expensive solvents for no reason...WD40 has served me and my firearms fine....but to each his own!

I only use Clenzoil. The saline lakes of Canada's duck factory are Pure Hell on guns, and much worse than any coastal gunning I have done. I trust Good Gun Smiths, as they are few and far between, and none have ever tried to sell me a more expensive product. You hunt in salt, you clean your gun often.....at least on the inside. To each his own.

I have never had any problems with Rem oil. Too many gunners have a tendency to use copious amounts of their favorite lube much like ketchup on fries! Toss in some sand, grain chaff, dried grass and a little mud and you wind up with a single shot auto. Just like the decoys, waders, boat and everything else the gun gets taken down and cleaned after each trip. 40 year old habits are hard to break!

Back