best value shotgun

The beretta 390 that still can be found out there, seen it at dicks and academy recently, one of the best autos ever made

I had a 390... I loved it till I tried my SBE...... My wife LOVES her AL391. I have heard the SBEII os on sale around $800. My advise, from buying and selling too many guns before I finally ended up with what I always wanted.... Try out everything that think you might like... save your money... and buy whatever gun you like the best... the best value shotgun is the one that you only buy 1 time.

Mossberg 935......has had 500-1000 rounds through it, no jams or
problems of any kind. I have only shot 3" shells through it ........
Good gun for the money!

Are you looking for best value or a cheap price?
What I found to be true is that Some of the higher end guns are the best value.
A good example would be if you buy a lower end auto then use if for several years
then sell it you will most likley loose money.
Buy a higher end gun, do the same you will get your money back an may ever make money.
For me my Bennelli was the best value for me. I wanted a left handed auto.
When I see what they are selling for used, I can get my money back after using it for several years.
You can't get a better value that that.

Just a though

A buddy of mine had a Charles Daley. His jammed like crazy, sold it at a loss. Another friend has one in youth model 20 and has not had a problem.

Do you want value or cheap? All these off-brands are a gamble. Sure they are cheap and you might save a few bucks and you might get one that works fine. But then you might get one that is a lemon and gives you nothing but problems.

But why gamble???? You can't go wrong with a Berretta 390. They are in your price range and a fantastic guns backed up by a company with a history of standing by its products.
Or get a good used Benelli or even an older Remington 1100.

i am looking to buy a new semi auto shotgun i was at cabelas today and i was intrested in the weatherby sa-08 and the remington 11-87 and a few ithaca semi auto shotguns and was wondering if these were good guns and would like other suggsetions top price about $650 thanks

I bought my 11-87 in the early 90's. It has been my primary hunting choice since then. It was also my skeet league and sporting clays gun over a 10 year period and I shot a trainload of shells thru it. It is STILL my primary hunting choice and has never failed, jammed, or stovepiped. I replaced an o-ring once, not because I had to but just because I discovered they could be replaced.

I think a new one is probably $600+ around here (Guns Galore or Williams Gunsight) but I wouldn't count out a nice used one for $400-500.

I like my Wingmaster and Model 37 because they are fun older guns to shoot and they have their own "history", so IMHO theres a lot to be said for 870's, 37's and Model 12s. I shot an SBE for a month in league and it just didnt suit me...another case of personal preference.

if you go on www.gunsamerica.com you can find a benelli m1 between $600 to $800. If you are not in a rush that's what I would do. I bought a used M1 last summer for $700. It was barely used.

if you go on www.gunsamerica.com you can find a benelli m1 between $600 to $800. If you are not in a rush that's what I would do. I bought a used M1 last summer for $700. It was barely used.

Kind of tells you what you should do. Buy a quality new gun that you like the best, keep it till you want to buy another quality new gun, sell your 1st gun at a profit and put it towards the next gun.

I paid around $500 for my M1 many years ago. It is still in excellent shape. Looks like I can sell it for a profit should I ever have the desire to do so. Great guns gain value over time, not lose value. To me, you have to look at the total cost of gun ownership and depreciation upon selling is one of the costs.

Mark W

Brendan, I don't think you can go wrong with a Beretta. I've had my 390 now for 10 or 11 years and I have only had one issue and it was my own fault. The Gander Mountains around us still have a version of it for around 600 dollars. Several guys at the club I shoot at have picked up the Stoeger in 3 1/2 and seem to like it, but I don't have any personal experience with that one.
Ron

Beretta 390 has my vote. Shoot the same 15 year old Sporting model for everything - everything - and it keeps on working. SC, trap, ducks, geese, grouse, skeet, red squirrels...

Funny that no one has brought up the Stoeger M2000 yet. Great gun as long as you spend several years breaking it in. And get lucky enough to buy one that was made during a Benelli QC trip to the factory in Turkey. Might have to go through a few before you find one that does not need to be rebuilt.
This means you can sometimes find one for next to nothing that just needs some minor gunsmithing action work. I have read on other forums where guys were even giving them away to someone that thought they could fix the problems. For my M2000 I think it is more prone to the Benelli click than a Benelli is. Drives me nuts some days. It is not a gun you want to take bunny hunting in the brush. The brush pulls the bolt out of battery way too often.

However, if I was to do the semi-auto purchase again I would venture into a Walmart and see if they have a 390.

My son shoots a Remington 11-87 Premier and loves it. I can tell you he's very neglectful when it comes to cleaning it but it never lets him down. I believe he went a season and half and I finally broke down and cleaned it for him. I couldn't believe how much gunk had accumulated in it and it kept on shooting. Obviously a reliable, durable duck shooter.

I have been shooting the same 1187 for 23 years now ' and never had a problem . I would have to say stick with the American made guns . The Italians don't need our money we do.

Brendan,

Find a gun that fits you...I have medium frame at 5'7"...I have shot a 20 gauge youth model 11-87 synthetic for 8 years now...Change the o-ring every season and clean it on a regular basis and you have a wonderful shooter...I shoot a skeet choke with 2 3/4" 2 shot at 1350 fps...Clean kills at 25 yards and less on greaters this year in Manitoba...

Excellent duck gun! Diver hunt with 2 3/4" 4s...No problems if you know your capabilities...

If you are looking for a 12 gauge go with the 11-87 synthetic or best of all, grab an 870...

Regards,

Kristan

Back