Big time dental work question-NDR

Dwight Harley

My dentist says that I am looking at a bridge or extraction of several teeth and placement of implants. He suggests implants. Sounds awful. I have had several gum grafts and hated that. I have always taken good care of my teeth but doc says genetics and age trumps that. Any of you been through this? Advice and/or reassurance appreciated.

Dwight,

I've been through peridontal surgery twice. My current perigontist is one of the pioneers in implants in this area and of course thinks very highly of them. Do some research, get referals to ask his patients. Be as well informed as you can be so you can make the best decision for yourself.

It might be the best course for you but you have to believe in the program first. Sounds like you need more information.

Well, Dwight,you could be like me and wear dentures. There is a positive to everything in this world. Yesterday was no exception. I was cutting firewood in the bosque (river bottoms) when the soft liner of the ear muff fell off from my helmet. Well, I sure as heck couldn't continue with no hearing protection but then like a flash of lightning I got this brain storm.
My lower denture was killing me and that made me think of the "Poligrip" that I was using to hold them in place. Heck, I took them out, scraped off some of the adhesive, put it on my ear liner, and presto, it stuck. No problems. Is that called "crude ingenuity"?
I still think that anything can be better than dentures!
Al

PA050036.jpg

PA050037.jpg

PA050038.jpg

I got the titatium implants was not bad at all. Had the extraction and the mount done at the same time. Have to wait for the bone graph to set then they will expose the implant set the hub and new denture. I all ready ask if a whole denture can be attached to this one for the future and yes it can. here is the website of the doctor I used it has full videos of the procedure. O BY THE WAY THE NURSES ARE HOT THAT HELPS.

I have an implant. I would do it again. Bridges weaken other teeth. Get a good surgeon to put it in. You want it to take.

I have done my homework. My periodontist and my family dentist are going to tag team it. The perio guy is going to put in the titanium screws and the dentist is going to make the casts for the temporary partial and attach the permanent "teeth" to the screws when they heal. They tell me that the implants will last longer than I will. Geez, it is friggin' expensive, though.
Thanks all for your comments.

Define "expensive". I'm going to need some work done eventually to replace a 4 tooth bridge. The 5yo repair has been holding, but the quote back then was around $4500 or so to replace. May or may not be able to do 2 implants and 2 crowns, vs another bridge, but I was going to ask.

Jim, about $10,500 to place the implants, make a temp partial to wear while it heals, and the four teeth that will screw intro the implants. I've asked around and this is about what I expected.

I just had an implant finished, and so far so good. I have another that I am going to do later this year. It is quite a racket and the pricing holds fairly steady, but I would definitely shop around and make sure that you get a commitment on the cost that people stick with. As long as you are comfortable with your team and you are confident of their work you will be happy with the teeth. This procedure is still evolving and there are always new and different ways to do things, so with the amount of work you are doing you may want to poke around a little.

In the big picture, not that much more expensive than bridge work, and probably stronger and more natural feeling/looking

My wife has implants but none that I get to play with...
the process was much longer than I expected but the finished product is great.
She's happy with them so of course, I am.

My brother in law does that for a living. He is currently working in Ohio. He is always teaching and attending new seminars on the implants. I dont need any work yet, but when I do, I will look for a Dr that is up on the latest technology and one that spends the extra money on the best implants for his patients. After the initial procedure is done and you heal up, it should be pretty trouble free for many, many years.

Good luck,
Tony

Every dentist I have ever been to encourages you to keep your natural teeth. That being said, 30+ years ago, I had to have one extracted. A bridge was put in around 1975 and lasted until 2 months ago when it broke on a piece of garlic bread of all things. I replaced the bridge at a cost of $3500 and it was easy peasy. It feels fine and I can hardly tell it is a replacement for the old one. Just based on cost, I wouldn't spring for 3 times the cost.

As an aside, last week the outer face of a tooth that had been filled many years ago, simply broke off and of course, I was eating a freakin apple. Go figure. Oh well, a crown will set me back another thou I'm sure. So much for trying to eat healthy !

Good luck with your decision.

Bill

Back